1960 40 hp lark purchase

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1960 40 h.p. evinrude with controls
for $125.00. with controls. says lower unit needs resealed, that a mech. told him that after tilting motor up and having oil run out of it.says block was replaced 3 years ago, I assume whole powerhead.If I go look at this motor I will take a stand ,tank of fuel and test drum with me (2 hour drive)and a good battery. I will check compression and try to start. my question is that I
have a donor 35 big twin 1956 and am wondering if the lower unit from the 30 will work on the 40. I also have a running 35 1957 that I made into a long shaft last year and those lowers were interchangeable.what other concerns if any should I have or check on this motor to help with my decision or negotiations on thes motor?

thanks ,steve

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 40 hp lark purchase

56,57 will not work the 40 has 2 water tubes, instead of one. the super quiet models. resealing is not a bad job.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you both,I will pass on this particular motor at this time.

Steve

coolguy147

Commander

those motors u have to watch out

there often victims of runaways. i believe cause of the small crankshaft. and if u take the flywheel off torque it down to about 110 pounds foot. i thinks it that? but ya mighty fine lets just hope compression is good. and when was the last time it was really serviced? the water might need to be changing. dont wnat an over heated motor:eek: