70 Horse Evinrude

whaler1029

Recruit
Ive got a mid eighties 70 horse evinrude,that has been sitting for the past five years. I had the carbs rebuilt, new power pack, gutted temp gauge, and rebuilt fuel pump, and got her running fairly well, slow to start but that can be expected. I took it out for the first time last weekend and she ran fine for a few miles at about 3/4 throttle but when i backed her down the motor cut off instantaneously and would not start or turn over afterwards. After being towed in, I hit the key and this time it turned over, but would not fire. The drive gear(I think) on the motor starter does not drop back down all the time either, sometimes it will stay up on the fly wheel, and others it will come back down as it is supposed to.

I think I've included anything if anyone needs more details or has ANY ideas on what the problem may be your advice will be appreciated.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 70 Horse Evinrude

i think your on the right track, it sounds like a gear is in the wrong place to start the motor, kinda like trying to start a stickshift car without pushing in the clutch.

whaler1029

Recruit

Any ideas on how to get her back running, or any other maintenence i should perform before taking her back out? (I really dont want to get stuck with another hefty SeaTow bill)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You had oil in the gas yes?

Almost sounds like it seized.

Start with the basics, confirm spark and compression first and that the engine is getting fuel.

whaler1029

Recruit

Yes 50:1 mix, has spark and compression on all cylinders as well.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

It's not a kill switch is it?
Up at the control box there should be a red wire hooked up to a small thing near the key.

So that if you pull it out, the engine stops.

maybe it is loose