seafoam as a additive

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
How much seafoam do i put in a 6 gallon tank as a additive? Also what does it do?

iwombat

Captain
Re: seafoam as a additive

Just use the directions right on the bottle.

It keeps the fuel system clean and stabilizes the fuel from going bad.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to be this way but -- if you have no idea why you are putting this additive in your fuel, why are you doing it? Just the last two days I've dealt with questions like this and I get flamed for trying to "educate" people. There are way too many "snake oils" on the market (this is NOT one of them) so ask before you try some of this stuff. As for SeaFoam use, the instructions are right on the container. Your question would be better asked this way: I read alot about the benefits of SeaFoam as a fuel additive but I don't understand what it actually does, why I should or should not use it, or how it works. Explain please. You would then get an education on its benefits and useage. Right now, all you know is what is says on the can (if you've read it). There are several uses for this product -- all you need to do is search using the keyword "SeaFoam" or "Decarb".

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just my 2 cents on Seafoam. I have had customers try it and had some success on carb problems but if a orfice/passageway is plugged nothing works,it has to flow thru it. It will not clean a injector on a outboard(had too many customers try it) and it will not remove carbon from a piston if soaked in it. I just rebuilt a 60 degree and soaked pistons 2 days in Seafoam and it only removed 10% of carbon build up, I had to glass bead them to clean. I buy Seafoam from my distributer so I get a great price on it. I will say that it will free up rings and clean exhaust some. I am not impressed with the factory additives either. I will say that if your having no problems that running it/factory additives cannot hurt. Just my opinion.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Of course it won't loosen carbon by soaking in it. Carbon is an inert material. SeaFoam works on a warm, running engine as a decarb agent as described in many posts in this forum. It is also intended to be run in the fuel as a "preventive" measure. Obviously if something is plugged tightly, nothing can get through. Even water can be used as a decarb agent. There are lots of agents intended for use in engines but few of them work by soaking. Most require heat and a running engine.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

Let me clarify this. My engine runs fine. I have been reading about seafoam for awhile and I just want to add some to keep my engine, carbs ect in good shape. I did read the can, however I wanted to check with you guys first.

JeffsAV

Seaman

It won't hurt your motor, so no worries there, as long as you follow the directions on the container. It may help your engine, but don't expect miracles. It may extend the life of your motor, but don't skimp on regular maintenance. Tons of folks use it, and love it. Tons of folks don't use it, and have fine running motors just the same. I use Sta-bil in my gas, just in case. I have run Start Your Engines from Gold Eagle(same folks that make Sta-bil), and it cleaned my old spark plugs impressively. The motor ran better though, when I replaced my old cleaned-up sparkplugs, with new spark plugs. Pretty simple, I think.;)