Can I upgrade my '82 305 to vortec by replacing the heads and intake?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I have a set of vortec heads for a 305. Will these fit on an '82 305? I am under the impression that the heads are interchangeable. The problem I see is that the head is setup for a roller cam and the block is non roller. I don't think this is a problem, but I'm not really sure.

The next problem is my drive can't handle more than 245 HP, but I would imagine a non roller vortec 305 with performance intake and 4 barrel carb would probably make about that.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Can I upgrade my '82 305 to vortec by replacing the heads and intake?

I have read on here somewhere that there are Vortec Head/intake equipped motors that do not have roller cams, so you should be fine.
What outdrive do you have that is only rated to 245hp?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I have an OMC stringer 800.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

A few potential problems

1. Valve size versus cyl bore size.
The 302 was a small bore engine which also used smaller valves than many of the 350 engines. You must check to be sure that the valves do not collide with the top of the cyl block. It is possible to grind 'notches' in the block but it is NOT recommended for the novice to attemp this.

2. Push rod guide plates
May be required if not already installed on the new heads.

3. Intake manifold
Bolt pattern and angle of the bolts are different. Requires matching intake. Careful elongation of select holes in the intake MAY allow a non-vortec intake to fit, again, this is NOT a project for a novice.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I have a set of vortec heads for a 305. Will these fit on an '82 305? I am under the impression that the heads are interchangeable. The problem I see is that the head is setup for a roller cam and the block is non roller. I don't think this is a problem, but I'm not really sure.

Ayuh,...

As long as you're swappin' Dressed, 305 heads to 305 motor,...
It'll work...
The heads will have the right rockers...
You'll need the Right manifold,... Cam don't matter...
And,...
The old Stringer 800s had Bigger Badder motors than that mounted to 'em...