Steering Questions

matfalk

Cadet
I just bought my first bass boat, a 1989 Stratos 285 PF with a 150 hp Evinrude XP V-6. I got it out on the water for the first time this past Tuesday, and found that the steering is very very stiff. It takes almost everything I have to turn the wheel. I'm assuming that from reading other posts on the forum that I will need to replace the steering cables. It is currently equipped with a Rack and Pinion system, but I've seen recommendations to switch over to a rotary system. How difficult of a job would it be to make this switch? Also, while I'm at it, how difficult would it be to install a fish finder on the bow if there is no wiring already in place for one? The boat only came with a Humminbird LCR 4000 on the console that doesnt work, so I am looking into replacing that one, and adding a second unit to the bow. Thanks for the help guys!

mthieme

Captain
Re: Steering Questions

Make sure the rod is greased and not tight through the pivot shaft in the motor.
Nothing wrong with a rack and pinion setup.
Never seen a FF on the bow. Generally, they are easy to mount though. A couple holes, run the cable, mount the transducer and you're in business.
Would swiveling one on the dash be practical?

matfalk

Cadet

I'll check out the rod and make sure of that.

A lot of bass boats feature 2 fish finders, one at the console, and the other on the bow. Reason being that when someone is fishing they can be on the front deck using the trolling motor and not having to turn around to look at the screen on the console. The transducer is going to be easy enough to do, I can put that on the trolling motor, just the power cable I'm worried about.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have a 1996 295 and I put a finder on the front. There should be a power wire up there on the bow somewhere behind to switch panel!

As to the steering, Turn the motor all the way to the right so that the rod is all the way out, clean it with a solvent so it is spotless, put some light oil or ATF liberally on the shaft and turn the engine all the way the other way. Then back to the right and clean it again. You will have to do this several times. If this does not help, you probably will have to replace the cables.