TV repair man needed!

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My parents had a power outage last night from a downed line, and there relatively new 32" Panasonic (CRT) won't come on now. They didn't see any kind of surge of power to the TV or anything of that nature. There is a small V-shaped (side-ways) slot, about 3/4 of an inch long in the back of the TV at center height. Is that, or could that be for an internal reset, that only repair techs know about? The TV is only a few yrs old and I would hate to see them have to get a new one. Not many TV repair around anymore, especially 'round here. Thanks for any info or help. Can get the model # if needed. Thanks again

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: TV repair man needed!

The slot might be for an antenna.I don't think that they use resets any more on consumer electronics.It is anybodies guess what might have failed but there are fuses on the board to start with......look near the line coming into the TV.If you change one you might want to try it before you put the cover back on.If it is not a fuse it needs test equipment and probably a schematic.
You can look for burned traces on the circuit board and that will point you towards what is wrong but it will likely need advanced servicing to revive it.Ron G

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Ron, the slot is located almost dead center of the back of the TV. Its meant for inserting something, but what...who knows. I agree that electronics now-a-days are almost throwaways, (most anyway). They saw my new (last yr) LG 42" Flatpanel LCD and wished they had one like it. But its a shame the 32" CRT didn't last that long. I hesitate for them to spend too much moola on it, in case it may be prone to power bumps. They have the $ to get a new one, but at 78 tyrs old, Dad likes to wring every last dollar out of his posessions, as one would imagine. Thanks again for the reply.

Kerry (Happy St. Patricks Day)

Xcusme

Commander

Kerry,
Post the make and model number of the set, I'll look to see what I can find for ya. BTW, are you sure you have a video signal to the set??

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Xcusme; I went through everything I know, which would involve everything a person could do, to get power to a unit. No such luck. Not a sniff of power to the TV. The Model # is CT-32E13G (Panasonic) 32" Flat Screen CRT
Thanks alot..
Kerry (Happy St. Patricks Day)

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

TVs don't have any secret reset buttons. If it won't come on then it is damaged and needs repair. Unless you are electronic trained this is not a DIY repair. There are no parts inside that are consumer changeable.

Pony

Rear Admiral

TVs don't have any secret reset buttons. If it won't come on then it is damaged and needs repair. Unless you are electronic trained this is not a DIY repair. There are no parts inside that are consumer changeable.

TVs still do have reset buttons. I displayed 3 or 4 today alone that had them. That CRT probably doesn't.

People can riducule me if you want, but this is EXACTLY why service plans are sold. I have saved myself twice from buying a new TV because I had a plan. They are $ lost if you don't need them, but when you do they are nice to have.

Trust me....I work in the industry, and see these types of issues on a daily basis.