Inboard motor mount question

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class
My motor mounts sit on 2 angle iron plates which rest on the stringers and have plates welded at each end where the motor mounts themselves bolt on.

On one end the motor mounts have an aluminum plate sandwiched between the mounts and the plate.

That side of the mount assembly is lower than the other end by roughly the thickness of the aluminum plate.

All of the steel is 1/4 inch, but is heavily rusted, so I am building new ones.

What I am wondering is, does the aluminum plate serve any purpose, or is it just a shim to allow the same mount to be used in multiple applications.

Before I weld up the new pieces I need to know if I should reconfigure to eliminate the shims or build it as it is and reuse the shims.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Inboard motor mount question

it was probably a shim, to align the motor with the drive system.

Ned L

Commander

I agree with TD. it sounds like shims as you are thinking. No need for them. Are your motor mounts adjustable? If not, you will need to be REALLY accurate in setting up to weld, and make sure you are a bit low so that you can shim the engine up and don't have to go down. Remember, you need to end up with .003" max. at any point between the shaft coupling faces when you bring them together.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Pictures sure would Help to see what you've got going on,....

Switching to All Aluminum would cure the Rust issue....

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mounts have an available 3/4 of inch adjustment either way and I have a true inboard, so my alignment is a lot easier, just get it centered in the shaftlog and going in parrallel to the angle of the log and I'm golden. Thanks. I'll get some pis when they are done.

Also . . . Got in my seats from I boats and they are going to look great. Just have to reupholster the reverse facing bench seat for the ski observer to match and a single side panel and I think I can manage those.

I am using the Grey on lt grey temptress 3 across bass boat seats in the back of the ski boat and am building a small riser cabinet to get them up to the perfect height aligned with the top of the cap. I got the matching Captains seat and the prices were great. Seats look awesome.

I picked up a bunch of the interlocking waterproof foam tiles to make a floor covering I can take out and wash off easily. Cost was under 35 bucks for the whole boat. It might be the only thing I've bought that hasn't set me back a pretty penny!

Anyway, as soon as Iget some time I'll post some progress pictures.

Transon is in and stringers are all cut, final fitted and epoxy coated. Will start tabing the transom in and gluing down stringers etc in a few weeks when I get some time and cooperative weather.