Update Time Again

dolluper

Captain
AVG free is 8.5 now time to get it your using 8.0 as it will stop working right if you don't.....mine said it was corrupt so I updated....the joy of something free eh!

axeslinger1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Update Time Again

Dolluper:

I put AVG on my computer when I first got Internet access nine years ago (I didn't want Internet -- my wife insisted. Since I'm a software developer, this was something like the cobbler's family not having shoes. But I digress...) Anyway, AVG was the cat's rear for me for all of that time -- until last year -- when it started insisting I update to the pay version and appeared to be causing me performance problems. In fact, I couldn't even FIND an update to the free version to download! I got rid of AVG, went antivirus hunting on CNET, and found a nice little virus checker called Rising Antivirus.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Use Avast!. Home edition is free and it works great. It lets you know when the virus database has been updated, let's you know when a new version is available and has real time scans for surfing the web, checking both application email and web based email, instant messaging, etc.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Switch to Linux and just avoid the whole mess.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i never even thought of trying to find a free ant virus,
i assumed they all would be spyware

axeslinger1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is not trivial and should not be undertaken lightly!

I played around with creating an execution disk for Puppy Linux and had a hard time even though the directions are supposedly clearly shown on their web site. I lucked out, though. I also goofed around with installing Ubuntu (another Linux variant), which I ultimately put the kibosh on because it's so freaking big. I did get some valuable information from their site, though: a checksum processing program and a program that will export the Puppy file properly to a CD. Once I had those tools, I was able to create and use a properly-functioning Puppy Linux CD.

axeslinger1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use Avast!. Home edition is free and it works great. It lets you know when the virus database has been updated, let's you know when a new version is available and has real time scans for surfing the web, checking both application email and web based email, instant messaging, etc.

Where can one get that, Suzuki? Also, just so everyone knows, Rising will do all of this and more. You can schedule your scans. One REAL neat thing about this checker is that it will scan AND repair your boot sector when you boot up.

Virus scanners aren't enough. You also need to use tools to remove malware, spyware, etc. AdAware does the trick for me. I also have Hijack This! as my secret weapon.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Touche.

And this is trivial. Kubuntu and Ubuntu as well as many others are really easy to install. The too big comment makes me wonder because you can install whatever you want so it can be as large or as small as you want. They also have 'live cd's' (generally the install CD) that you can just pop in to your CDROM, boot from and use without messing up whatever you may already have on your system. Puppy Linux isn't a mature Linux distro so you will have a tough time installing it or getting it to run properly.

As for Avast!, http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

If the reason anyone doesn't want to run Linux is because there is software that won't run on Linux you can run Windows in a virtual environment on your Linux machine. Problem solved.

dolluper

Captain

If you speak german Linux is easy.....in my opinion avast free has to be the best runs great and auto updates...but the new AVG seems to have the bugs out