89 Johnson 150GT

esizemo

Cadet
Just purchased 89 Stratos 289F/S 150GT Johnson from the original owner. This is my third boat this year, I think I will stop buying for a while. The boat was not used last year, and only out twice in 07. Owner stated he serviced lower unit and ran fuel out of carbs when last used. The owner said the motor has very few hours and estimated 150hrs on it. The motor fired right up and idled out smoothly, and the gearcase ingaged with no trouble.

Question, What service should be performed on the motor before my first trip out? I assume I should replace the waterpump? Owner said tach isn't working when we fired it up, but he said in 07 it did the same thing but started working after running the motor for a while. Owner has been adding an additive to the fuel on every fill up, a lead based, per the dealer when purchased new.

Boat is original and in perfect condition. I've already changed the batteries and put new tires on the trailer. I just want to make sure I will do no harm to the motor first time out.

Eric

esizemo

Cadet
Re: 89 Johnson 150GT

Failed to mention this is a VRO motor.

Model number: J150STLCEM