Can I make 245 HP on my pre vortec non roller cam Chevy 305 without too much trouble?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 305 with 601 heads in my 18 foot 2800 lbs IMP Pawnee tri-hull. I need to replace the carb and ignition/distributor and was hoping to get this engine up to 245 HP in the mean time which is the stringer drive's limit.

Assuming I put on a good performance intake, HEI ignition, and decent carb (Edelbrock 1409) is 245 HP a reasonable goal on this old engine? What else would I need to do to make get close to 245 HP? I believe the newly rebuilt heads are good for a .500 lift and the current lift is around .390 - .400... What about going to a higher rocker arm ratio?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can I make 245 HP on my pre vortec non roller cam Chevy 305 without too much trou

Ayuh,...

Adding a 4bbl. Carb,+ manifold will make the 5.0l a darn Good pulling motor....

Just make Sure that's a Marine rated Distributer you use....

Changing the Cam, or valve tming probably Isn't such a good idea...

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Can I make 245 HP on my pre vortec non roller cam Chevy 305 without too much trou

Well you can easly get 245 out of a 305.... BUT!! You realy want to be carfull that you dont raise the power range to a much higher RPM. A higher ratio rocker will net you a little extra lift, without realy changing your power band, so dont think they will hurt you. If you go with a roller rocker, you will gain a tiny bit in friction loss also. A better intake and a 4bbl carb will be a good addition, as long as you keep the CFM on the low side. The primaries on the carb will probably be a little smaller then the stock 2bbl, so you will have good low end, but still a added punch when the secondarys kick in. As for a cam change.... Before I would do that, I would call a few cam grinders. It is WAY to easy to go to big, and you will be stuck with a engine thats a pig down low.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I'd ask what condition your engine is in.
A leakdown test will verify if the engine is ready for the upgrade.

straubtech

Cadet

I agree the 305's wake up with an intake change. A cam change will net you some more power but the bang for the buck may not be there when you look at HP per $ spent. Adding rockers can help but early GM heads are not clearance for increase ratio and have to have the pushrod holes clearanced so that the pushrods do no interfere with the head. Rocker ratio is increased by moving the pushrod seat on the rocker closer to the pivot point (trunion).