Drain plug?

redneck88

Seaman Apprentice
I was looking at my drain plug on fiber glass boat and noticed that it only had a cover and threads on the outside but no backing on the inside,the threaded sleeve didnt even go all the way throug the hull.should i replace this with a better type of plug system,what would yall suggest,appreciate yalls help.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Drain plug?

A picture would be a big help.
If it a standard size drain plug with a smooth hole just put a plug in it from the outside and snap it tight and it should be fine. All the pressure is from the out side so pushing the plug tighter. When on the water take a close look from the inside to make sure it not leaking then have fun.
Get a spare plug in case you ever forget or loose the main plug.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he has something like this. i agree i prefer a sealed thru hull for the drain.

Attachments

• 20303-10_0.jpg
    20303-10_0.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0

mphy98

Lieutenant

Looks like what I have on mine. I have a brass one, never leaks no problems. I would get a spare just to be safe and I carry a rubber one that can fit on the inside as a double protection.

a70eliminator

Captain

A picture would be a big help.
If it a standard size drain plug with a smooth hole just put a plug in it from the outside and snap it tight and it should be fine. All the pressure is from the out side so pushing the plug tighter. When on the water take a close look from the inside to make sure it not leaking then have fun.
Get a spare plug in case you ever forget or loose the main plug.

Put the plug in from the inside and you can't loose it, although it's not practical on I/O boats because you can't reach it, otherwise if the plug is accesable from the inside thats where you should put it.