Did I ruin my deep cycle battery???

GeoRXT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I accidentally began charging the battery with the positive on the negative and the negative on the positive! The charger started to throw out smoke after about 20 seconds...thats when I noticed there was something wrong... :mad:

So, Did I ruin the battery?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Did I ruin my deep cycle battery???

Probably not, but it's a fair bet that your charger is toast. Most chargers have polarity protection (circuit breaker or fuse).

GeoRXT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know its toast because I disconnected it and let it cool down because it was scorching hot. I then tried to charge another battery and it did nothing. Im no really worried about the charger, Im worried about the $120 battery :(

waterinthefuel

Commander

You didn't hurt the battery but you sure gave that charger a wallop.

ebry710

Ensign

I know its toast because I disconnected it and let it cool down because it was scorching hot. I then tried to charge another battery and it did nothing. Im no really worried about the charger, Im worried about the $120 battery :(

I have had an entire electrical system short out due to a bad 8 gauge wire coming in contact with a grounded truck bed. It fried and melted everything until the 8 gauge finally burnt up. The battery was not effected.

Are you sure there isn't a fuse in that charger?

fishrdan

Admiral

The charger started to throw out smoke after about 20 seconds.

Yup,,,

After connecting a cap backwards and smoking it, one of my electronics teachers said, there's the problem,,, "you let the smoke out" :D

GeoRXT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check for a fuse, but I dont think it has one...

Thanks for the good news on the battery!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, I have never seen any electric or electronic item ever work without the 'magic smoke' correctly installed. In order to reinstall the magic smoke you need a 'smoke injector' (soldering iron) and all new plumbing (electronic components). It's often cheaper to buy a pre-injected kit, though (buy a new one).

ebry710

Ensign

I have installed my charger backwards before, usually the unit will click off and once disconnected the unit resets itself. You might want to look for that feature. I know if I didn't have it I would have done the same thing more then one time in my life.

GeoRXT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good thing is the battery is ok. I bought another charger but not with that feature. It was $100+ and I've never done that before and after this I know I will never do it again so..