plumbers!?

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class
the way my washing machine waste is plumbed is totally incorrect as well as dangerous..i learned this with the purchase of a new washer and dryer!!..the waste line for the house goes out about midway up the basement wall out into a cesspool..i plan on re doing all the waste lines..after i re plumb every thing i realize the washer waste will be the lowest point and when, not if the cesspool backs up, it will empty into the basement!! is there a 2 inch check valve for this application..i tried serching around and any thing i've seen is for sump pumps..there will really be no pressure pushing out so i dont think this will work..any ideas i saw this valve online

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: plumbers!?

thanks bob..but even those look to have a spring...although it may work but its very low to 0 pressure so id still be worried that it wont open..

Bigprairie1

Commander

Why the need for a 2" fitting specifically?
The fittings Bob showed look to be the ones you would need for a 2" system. You could always enquire as to the working pressure needed to unseat the valve from that supplier...they would have that info.;)
That said, if this is simply a washing machine application then all you need is a sump pump/flapper style check which usually is 1-1/4". You don't need anything bigger at all for that application. A high performance sump pump puts water out at a equal to or greater rate than your washing machine and that fitting size easily handles that volume.
If its a matter of existing pipe size, then neck down to a 1-1/4" fitting and, again, use the sump check valve. If you have a 2" pipe for this right now, thats way oversize for what you need and you have lots of wiggle room on going down size-wise to keep the check fitting simple.
Good luck
BP:cool:

chiefalen

Captain

Heres another option: why have it plumbed into the ceaspool at all ??

Just have it run into the backyard or woods or anywhere else.

My dad has the pipe running into the woods upstate ny.

Your redoing the pipes anyway.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks everyone..and yeah chief id LOVE to keep it out of the cesspool alltogether but my yard is small and i think the neighbor might notice a pipe going under the fence into her yard!! i ended up getting one similar to what bob sugested..hopefully i'll never find out if it works!!! thanks for all your suggestions...soon i'll be boating and not gives 2 sh&ts about the cesspool...hah

sebago_kid

Seaman

your washer pumps water out, it doesn't just drain. There won't be an amazing amount of pressure there, but would definitely push to the ceiling of your basement with no issue.
Most checks do not have a spring. If you shake them, you can hear the flapper rocking back and forth.
I agree that 2" is way overkill. 1" to 1-1/4" would suffice nicely.