Question For A Cat Veterinarian

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Our 1 1/2 year old 100% indoor kitty was being taken care of for us while we were away on vacation.She got out and was missing for 17 days.We found her under a shed only 2 houses from where she got out.Based on her condition ,it seems she spent most of the 17 days under the shed.She was clean and lost some weight but she didnt look like she had been gone long.No cuts or scratches.We took her directly to a vet.Vet did a general physical.Checked lymph glands,stomach,eyes,gums,etc.No fleas,just 2 ticks and not deer ticks.Vet was surprised she looked so good.Vet wanted to see her in 6 weeks for some tests.My concern is her appetite.she was a big eater .She has eaten very little in the 4 days she is home.She is drinking water but seems very tired and not very hungry.I jammed a little baby food on her tongue to make sure she ate something.Does this sound normal???? Any qualified help would be appreciated.Charlie

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Question For A Cat Veterinarian

Poor cat was ultra traumatized :( I would just leave the food out and see what happens. She is probably very tired and might only feed when no one is watching or late at night. Give it some time......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had one of my cats run into our basement (very close to a dungeon with a dirt floor) and the wife and I figured the cat would come back up...... nope.. he was too scared and we had to get him.

I have 3 of them in the house and they can act funny when things happen.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm not a vet, but have had plenty of cats over the years. Since the vet has checked her out thoroughly, I wouldn't worry unless she fails to eat much for a much longer period of time.

Your cat has eaten very little for almost three weeks. She was most likely surviving on bugs, small rodents and rainwater. Because of this it may be some time before she has a normal appetite again.

In my estimation, cats also have an emotional makeup that we often don't attribute to animals. Like humans, they experience trauma and can become emotionally withdrawn. This could account for the lack of appetite.

All of this said, what you are seeing could be an indication of something physically wrong too. Cats will often turn down food when they aren't feeling well. Because of this, I would stay in touch with your vet, keep him/her aware of what is going on and be ready to go back for another exam, should comditions warrant doing so.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

She sure was.Cant believe what the little thing must have been through.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

17 days fending for herself, stomach shrinks, what she is eating may be filling her. my cats eat till they are full and quit.