Nissan 2005 Impeller

02Toyotatruck

Recruit
I have a 2005 Nissan 2 stroke 3 cylinder. The ownwers manual recommends replacing the impeller every 2 years. The area mechanic says it would be about $200 to do this. Does this sound a little pricey? Is this a hard job to do myself? I am fairly handy, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to him? The water still seems to run out of the tube well,but I thought since it is 4 years old it my be a good idea. Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 2005 Impeller

Having the model from the label on the cowling would help with specifics, but it's pretty much the same for all these units:

Fairly straightforward to replace the impeller. Drop the LU, unbolt the pump housing, swap impeller, reassemble. Depending on the model, Tohatsu has a WP kit, including cup and wear plate. Since the cost of the job is in labor, I would consider the whole kit instead of just the impeller.

02Toyotatruck

Recruit

The Model # is NS40D2. So is it a matter of taking off the 6 bolts to pull the lower unit down, or is there more to it? If anyone can give me a step by step to change the impeller I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS.

02Toyotatruck

Recruit

Being this is probably the last year I will own this motor, I hate to put out the money for the service manual. Could any of you guys tell where and how to unhook the shift? All of the rest of the procedure I understand except this part. Thanks.

pvanv

Admiral

Being this is probably the last year I will own this motor, I hate to put out the money for the service manual. Could any of you guys tell where and how to unhook the shift? All of the rest of the procedure I understand except this part. Thanks.

The Factory service manual is a cheap investment, considering what our shop would charge you to fix a botched job. Also consider that having the manual at resale time would add to the value of the used motor. Since a new 40 hp TLDI is at least a $5,000 expenditure, the relative price of the manual is a bargain. The manual details nuances such as fastener torques, which contribute to a quality repair. Working without one is driving blindly.

That said, you can see a diagram of the shift coupler on page 45 of the parts catalog, available at TG's website, for free, as I mentioned previously. The upper and lower shift rods are joined by a brass coupler, which fastens to the rods by means of 3mm stainless roll pins. After you drive out a crosspin, the shift rods can be separated, allowing the LU to be dropped. The factory sells an excellent set of drift punches for removing and installing the roll pins in the coupler, but they cost about $50 a set. The Bubba and Cooter method of selecting an appropriately-sized punch will work fine, if you are careful and skilled enough. The Factory recommends you install a new pin to replace the one that was driven out. If you re-use the old pin, YMMV.

I would personally recommend installing a WP kit, instead of just the impeller, especially if the motor has seen salt or silt. That gives you a new cup, wear plate, bolts, and gaskets. Figuring that the cost of this job is mostly labor, and you do the same labor to replace (only) the impeller, it's money well spent.

If you are still in the dark about the procedure, it may be best to have a qualified Tohatsu/Nissan mechanic do the job for you. Cheaper and faster than having them undo your work. There are also other maintenance chores that are due after 4 years of use. Those are outlined in the owner's manual, as well as the Factory service manual. Some dealers (such as ours) offer a spring fitting-out service (which includes scheduled maintenance and a tank test), usually at a very good price, compared to having individual jobs done piecemeal. Certainly something to consider, if you are unsure of your ability to drop the LU.

02Toyotatruck

Recruit

Thank You Paul for all the advice, You make a good point. I think just for the piece of mind I will take it to the Nissan mechanic.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Have nothing against qualified mechanics and shops, a complete water pump kit will cost about $ 65.00 so you are paying the rest for hand labor, this is a tech issue you must learn to repair yourself and avoid costly fares. The money you save can be invested in other parts needed.

On the other hand after complete water pump ckeck with gaskets being ok, you could determine if it only needs a impeller change and not complete water pump kit change, impeller costs about $ 25.00, will be saving $ 175.00 (pocket friendly) :D

Happy Boating

LODI QUACKER

Seaman

MAN OH MAN!!!!!!!!!! What advice, 200 Bucks is steep it will take tht guy at the shop no more than 5 min to do this work!!!

If you are in any way mechanically inclined this is a 10 min job.

EASY EASY.

1. take out the roll pin from the shift linkage.
2. Remove nuts to allow the LU to drop.

Wow That was tough.

3. Remove the water pump housing. Be carefull not to loose the keyway out of the shaft.

4.with the old impellar still in the housing, look at which way the ribs are turning. The impellar will resemble a starfish, all he blades need to be going in the same direction and the same as the old one, with that in mind remove and replace the impeller.

5.replace keyway and pump housing and reinstall LU.

6. make sure the exhaust tube goes into the water pump housing grommet like it should before meshing LU with Motor housing.

There you go you just saved 180 bucks.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

this is a tech must issue you must learn to repair yourself and avoid costly fares. The money you save can be invested in other parts needed.

I agree with SeaRider...this is a job you must learn. Because it is a maintenance issue and not a repair issue, you'' be paying a lot of money over a ten year period.

Buy the manual and do it yourself! You can screw up several pump kits and still be money ahead...although $200 sounds pretty reasonable...I've heard up to $400 for the job!

MAS

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nissan 2005 Impeller Change

Nissan 2005 Impeller Change

The procedure is right, impellers always turns clockwise, oil/grease impeller liner slightly, place key in drive shaft and seat impeller down, while turning drive shaft clockwise push impeller housing down on top of impeller untill is well seataed on base, torque well all bolts to specs. Connect water pipes correctly.

Clean salt formations from water pump parts before assemble, a good idea is to apply some water grease with brush to water pump exterior, this will prevent and minimize excesive salt formations. A one hour job will be sufficient to perform an excellent and take it easy service to your belowed engine. You will learn under trial and error, eveybody does.

To pay as much as $ 400 bucks for a impeller change, that realy kills anyone, (was the mechanic using a machine gun when the price was given) we only charge $ 50/70 for that same work including impeller, two complete different world price realities. Besides, who said boating was cheap! :D

Happy Boating

LODI QUACKER

Seaman

Yep, just spin it in, its not very difficult, geasing will diminish pump capacity untill the gease is gone.
and oil and water Dont mix, it takes a LONG time for said grase to completly flush.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Yep, just spin it in, its not very difficult, geasing will diminish pump capacity untill the gease is gone.
and oil and water Dont mix, it takes a LONG time for said grase to completly flush.

Sorry to say TG & Lodi, nobody said anything about greasing the impeller itself, yes excesive grease could remain in blades. This issue won't degrade impeller water pumping, remenber you are changing a new one that expands 100% very well inside liner.

Been doing this for the past 12 years, in a short salt water use the grease will be gone completely from slightly greased housing with no problem to impeller what so ever. You can see it in the strong water peeing from tail tale. If you don't want to slight grease the liner, them wet liner and impeller with plain water and close inmediately impeller housing defore drying. Both methods conducts safely to Rome :)

PD: Not al impellers brands are very friendly to spin and close, will depend on their diameter, rubber thickness, number of blades used, that's why a slight greased liner will help slip and seat faster impeller inside housing. As an example, Tohatsu are more friendly to change without any lube than Johnrudes as having softer impeller material when bending.

Happy Boating

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck on finding a good Nissan mechanic..I got royally ripped by one in FLorida..He stuck metal shavings in my fuel system and threatened to kick my butt. I reported this to Nissan to no advail..

I located another local dealer and the same thing..his reviews were a nightmare..Before taking it to the dealer read his / her reviews.
Chuck

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What dealers are those? I refer to dealers all over and if there are iffy ones I would like to know so that they can't do further damage.

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

I wish I had the liberty to share but I'm a one income family and don't want to risk getting sued. However; I will never viisit this dealer again. I did call a very nice dealer in Tarpon Springs where I ordered some parts.He was very helpful.

I did write a good discription of the complaint to Nissan though..and of course it's "My word against theirs." I am a Christian and just bit the bullet. I do have some college level credits in auto mechanics so I was able to fix the problem. I also bought a manual off of this site and printed out a parts booklet as well...which helped a ton.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You might want to re-send the complaint to Nissan/Tohatsu as they have no record of any dealer making a threat to a consumer in Florida. You also need to make a complaint to the Florida Bureau of Professional Regulation due to your claim of repair fraud. That's a very serious crime they committed and you shouldn't let that go.

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

Well friend, I sent them a long email 3 years ago when it happened and reminded them of it last summer. There are many scams and folks getting sued in this era we live and I do not wish to persue the issue. As a Christian I beleive one will reap what they sow. Nothing goes undone. My dad is extremely wise in mechanics and has rebuilt many antique engines ..he just lives to far away. He has given me lots of wisdom. I've got that Nisson outboard about figured out now.Trust me, that bad dealer will do it again and it will come back and bite him. For me..it's over. The only reason I replied on here was to let folks know that there are dealership reviews that one can read. I do this when choosing a store or buying a new product. I appreciate your concern but again..it's over.
God bless and Merry Christmas,
Chuck7