power tilt&trim

slipper

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 88 force 50hp with power trim my trim is a 3 wire system, my green wire came lose from the motor, so I figured easy fix right take off the top of the motor and fix the wire right....
thats not the case, when I pulled up the top the whole motor came out of the case. now I have a 2nd wire in the motor disconnected and cant really tell where it goes.my guess is and I tried and failed to connect it to the other side of where the ground wire connects to but all I get is a clicking sound when I release the up/down button.
any help would be great
Regards,
Jeremy

RRitt

Captain
Re: power tilt&trim

good luck, you're going to need it.

the green wire goes to one winding, the blue wire goes to the other winding, center tap goes to far brush, black wire goes to near brush.

get a hairpin and sread it out into a broad "U" shape. Use it to hold brushes while you struggle with armature. Don't even start until you have right gaskets. Don't waste time thinking that maybe you can get by with old gaskets or silicone sealant. You can't and you'll ruin motor trying. Get new sealing washers for top while you're at it.

and - finally - post a pic. you're suppossed to have a 2w motor. Which is an entirely different animal and the above instructions probably do more harm than good if you do have 2w.

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

ok I will post pictures tomorrow, but the funny thing about this is when I looked up for the replacement motor it was a 2 wire witch makes me wonder if the motor really even works, I bought the whole motor with power tilt & trim about 1 month ago, now my question at this point is how can I find out what type of motor I would need if I have to replace it without going to a local marina.
I will still post pics as I would like to give a go at this
thanks
Regards,
Jeremy

RRitt

Captain

All systems fit all engines .... but only as a system. You can't always mix and match parts from one system to another.

The reservoir also doubles as base for motor.
The stainless steel oil tubes are bent to fit a specific reservoir.
If you change the reservoir then the oil tubes don't line up.
Stainless steel is way harder than aluminum.
If the oil tubes don't line up then you usually end up with a stripped threads.
The only reliable way to fix stripped threads is to take out valve seat which requires rebuilding.

So ... long story short. You're stuck with whatever motor you got. And if it happens to be the motor with aluminum reservoir then you're stuck needing a rebuild because nobody sells motors with same size reservoir any more.

also ... 2w motor only have two wires (blue and green). Three wire motors have three wires (grenn, blue, black).