First time prop Removal

chucknicotera

Recruit
Older volvo Outdrive - 1995? I removed a outer bolt and the cap twisted off without problem. The prop is in terrible condition and doesnt seem to want to budge. Am i missing something or can they be that hard to remove. Im not worried about damaging the prop - allready gettign another prop reconditioned I just want to make sure there is not another bolt or soemthing that will break when i start cranking on the prop to remove it. Am i missing something?

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First time prop Removal

they can be tough to get off if is been on for a long time maybe a puller

nlain

Commander

This is why you should pull the prop and grease the shaft and splines once a year. Get a puller and pull it off, there should not be anything other than the prop nut and washer holding it on, at least on Merc that is all. Hope it will come fairly easy that way.

chucknicotera

Recruit

thanks - i soaked it with PB blaster last night - goign to give it another try and take a torch to it if i have too.

nlain

Commander

Be very carefull with that torch, a little too much heat and you ruin the seals that keep the water out and the oil in the outdrive. The seals are right behind the prop so it won't take much heat the make the shaft hot enough to cause damage. Also do not use much hammer on it either, once again you can do internal damage and whether it is the seals or some hammer damage you can then spend big bucks for the repair.