Problems with alarms and gauges...

anthonysjo

Seaman
Hello,

I have a 91 Champion with a 92 Yamaha ProV 150 and I am having a few electrical challenges. The first issue I am having is the buzzer at the throttle will go off at random times and it does not seem to be an overheating or oil issue as it has been occurring for a while, not to my knowledge, my brother unhooked the wire going to the buzzer. I change the impeller every other year, so it is likely the temp sensor, TStat ( not sure if it has one), or poppet valve. The motor is run in fresh water and I would really like to figure out what is going on before I go out fishing so any preventive checks or maintenance that I can do before hand without just changing parts would be good.

The second question I have deals with gages. My fuel gage is always blinking low fuel even when it is full of fuel. I tried to switch out the sending unit but that did not fix it. What is the best way to test this to ensure it is not the gage? I have Yamaha gauges now and I would have to replace them as I am sure they are not cheap and they probably won?t match my other gauges. \

What would really help is the troublshooting steps and wiring diagram for the gauges and sensors. From there I could probably get it figured out.

Model P150TLRP
Code 6J9 L
Serial 353659

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Thanks,
Anthony

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Problems with alarms and gauges...

You need to hook up that buzzer wire and get to the root of the alarm. The motor goes into reduction mode to protect itself from damage.

are any indicators flashing on the gauge?
could be:
1) bad battery connection. check all grounds and cables.
2) overheat condition
3) low oil alarm
4) remote oil transfer alarm. usually a clogged external filter on remote oil tank.

I believe grounding out the pink wire on the fuel gauge will make it read full.

anthonysjo

Seaman
Re: Problems with alarms and gauges...

I have the wire hooked back up but I am probably a few weeks from putting it in the water since it is 20 degrees here today.

I think what I need to do is start from scratch and make sure the gauges and alarms are working correctly then troubleshoot any areas that are not working correctly (i.e. my fuel gauge). When I turn the key on I get indicators initial like I should for oil, temp, fuel, battery, etc but some do not work properly after the key is on for a few seconds. Specifically my battery is always flashing, always has since I bought the boat but it has no battery problems. The fuel gauge always shows empty and it has not worked for as long as I can remember. I have had some issues with the buzzer but I have never been able to nail it down because it always happened when my brother was using my boat, I know bad idea :mad:.

I can also pull the kill cord and turn the key to start so I think that tells me the buzzer is working.

Now what I need to do it try to test each function to ensure it is working properly so if something goes off I can isolate it using the gauges and such.