1998 force 120hp flywheel magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice
yep, after all the trouble i've had with this thing so far it left me paddle'n sunday on the lake:mad: went to the lake and it was chargin fine and as we're heading to the ramp about 4miles away, i notice voltage gauge is taking a dive, was at 14volts, now at 11volts. i killed the motor near the ramp and sure enuff battery was to low to crank. get home and a magnet is broken outta the flywheel:rolleyes:

so what all yr model flywheels will fit this 98 120hp force? will a 3cyl and the 5cyl flywheels fit? found 1 for a 150hp force pretty cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...019QQitemZ290225364659QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: 1998 force 120hp flywheel magnets

Before you pay to replace the flywheel you should consider reattaching the magnet(s) to the inner surface...if you still have it?
To my understanding this is possible using very good procedure and the right epoxy. I'm going to try this myself at some point on a spare project motor I have in the basement that has a loose magnet.
Maybe some others will wade in on having done this before or?
My two bits.
BP:cool:

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

Before you pay to replace the flywheel you should consider reattaching the magnet(s) to the inner surface...if you still have it?
To my understanding this is possible using very good procedure and the right epoxy. I'm going to try this myself at some point on a spare project motor I have in the basement that has a loose magnet.
Maybe some others will wade in on having done this before or?
My two bits.
BP:cool:

mine split in half, and almost took out the stator:eek: i still have the piece but am uncomfortable just glueing it back in. this thing left me stranded sunday afternoon cause it wasn't charging, the broken magnet was riding around on teh stator instead of the flywheel:rolleyes:

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1988 125hp that I picked up cheap because [1] no one would work on it and [2] the prior boat owner had run all sort of extra wires for a new ignition switch[ wrong kind].Upon checking the basics ,I found the magnet loose.After cleaning the flywheel and unbroken magnet with brake clean[love that stuff.I'm keeping them in business.LOL], I used some jb weld and reattached it. It works fine, just be sure to apply some light pressure clamps to hold it in place until it dries

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other thing,mine is a one piece magnet,and if I'm not mistaken, there are multi piece magnets also. It does'nt matter where the split of the magnet goes on the one piece, it just wants to see the magnetic field go by the stator.[someone correct me if I'm wrong ] moparman

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

One other thing,mine is a one piece magnet,and if I'm not mistaken, there are multi piece magnets also. It does'nt matter where the split of the magnet goes on the one piece, it just wants to see the magnetic field go by the stator.[someone correct me if I'm wrong ] moparman

i understand how it works, i'm a gm mastertech;), i just wanted to make sure it didn't happen again anytime soon. i've found some of the old part numbered flywheels still floating around below 300 bucks new:eek: guess i'm gonna suck it up and just order 1:mad: damn outboard keeps me working on it more than my jetboat did:rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

ok, found a cheaper way of looking for the flywheel. i found the old p# and started looking for it

the newest flywheel p# for 1998-1999 120hp force is 261-859236t14 or 261859236t14

the old part number is 261-9008a36 or 2619008a36 and its alot cheaper than the new p#;)

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/merc/M-9008A36.html

cheapest i could find is the above link

Status
Not open for further replies.