Free Sea Doo....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I had a guy that works with the wife give us a 96 model Seadoo.
Its just like the one we already had but this one has been sitting for over 2 years and not run.

I brought it home and charged the batteries and it would not turn over.
Pulled the spark plugs and it spins over fine but is shooting huge amounts of 2 stroke oil out of the plug holes?

I also noticed a good amount of clean,clear looking oil in the bilge.

I guess my first thing will be to drain the fuel tank.
I tested and it does have strong spark.

The previous owner stated it ran well when they parked it but needed a new impeller and wear ring..

Could the jet pump be the source of the clear oil?

Any advice would be appreciated..Is it worth trying to fix?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Free Sea Doo....

nope.. it is the oil tank or the oil lines leaking,, plus the oil in the engine is leaking from the rotaty valve compartment and getting in to the crank case,, it's a common problem with the smaller 2 cylinder engines from the 580 to the 720 models.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Jeff.....The guy told me the oil tank was blocked off and to run premix.

What would be involved in fixing it? Or should i just sell it for parts?
I could not figure out where the clear oil in the bilge came from...its not 2 stroke oil..

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't run premix. the rotary valve gear sits in a bath of oil. Find the oil injection pump lever and make sure it's adjusted correctly. Its a pita to do and you need mirrors. If the oil pump lever's cable is snapped or missing then the pump goes to "full open" and just starts dumping oil in the engine.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Jason....The oil tank looks like its blocked off...
The guy told me they had it done like that and he had always run premix.
Said it run great when they parked it.
Looks like this one is a basket case...:confused:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... Might want to find a manual if you can Gary.
I am PWC certified via the mickey mouse institute years ago but that doesn't mean a whole bunch. I really don't work on PWC's because you need midget hands to do it.
One thing I am 99% sure of though is those bombardiar rotax's use oil to lube the rotary gear and the backside of the bearings on the rotary valve. I'm pretty sure running premix isn't going to cut it for long in those motors.
See what you can do as far as googling a manual goes, it will all be in there.

woodyking

Cadet

The only way it would hold up running premix is for the rotary valve to have it's own little tank with in and out flow like on rotax UL engines. They are the same exact motor, but have a little reservoir just for the rotary valve. Normally this never goes down, there would have to be a seal leak for this to happen. On SeaDoos, they use the same oil that is in the tank that feeds the engine. You must have oil in the rotary valve or it will eat up the brass worm gear quick, as well as the inner seals. Maybe they filled it and looped the hose, or pinched it off with it full of oil. It only holds about 3 oz. in there if I remember correctly. I fly a rotax 582, which is the same motor almost exactly, from the same molds, only difference visibly is the water pump added on the other end of the rotary valve shaft. Good luck, Woody