Repairing a vinyl towable tube.

I have a two person towable tube that has developed a tear along one of the seams. The tear is about 1 1/2 inches in length. I would like to try and repair the tube instead of trashing it. The tube experiences quite a bit of a pounding as it's being towed around and bounced around. Does anyone know of a good epoxy or other type of sealent and patch system that could withstand the stress. Thanks.;)

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Repairing a vinyl towable tube.

I would try your local sporting goods store. Look for something used to repair ThermoRest air mattresses. Those bond kits make a heck of a strong repair.

Mikejr

Seaman

I have the same problem - what did you end up doing and did it work or did you end up buying a new tube?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

This is a 3 year old thread, but to the Mikejr --

Right here on iboats and it is on sale - http://www.iboats.com/Tear-Aid-Repa...0818572--session_id.848145360--view_id.341289

I used it last week on my $400 towable (3 person Big Mable/Mama) last week and it worked great. Real simple -- clean area with alcohol, press on patch and let sit for 24 hours. I left mine out in the sun all day.

The kids were crushed the weekend before when it went flat. I was a hero for sticking this patch on.

haulnazz15

Captain

Pool patch kits/air mattress patch kits work great. Tears on the seam might be difficult though.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah I was just going to say that I have never found a good patch kit that repairs seam failures....

unfortunately thats where most of my tubes fail too

SDSeville

Lieutenant

My tear was on a seam and the tear-aid (type B) kit worked great.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a 3 year old thread, but to the Mikejr --

Right here on iboats and it is on sale - http://www.iboats.com/Tear-Aid-Repa...0818572--session_id.848145360--view_id.341289

I used it last week on my $400 towable (3 person Big Mable/Mama) last week and it worked great. Real simple -- clean area with alcohol, press on patch and let sit for 24 hours. I left mine out in the sun all day.

The kids were crushed the weekend before when it went flat. I was a hero for sticking this patch on.
Thanks for the tip, if I ever find my boat I'll order it then so I can have it before I need it (and be the hero ;) )