1976 135hp Evinrude not firing

Cthom5436

Cadet
Bought an old boat. It was last in water in 1998. Had to replace the power pack. Also, the choke selinoid not functioning.

I unhooked the selinoid, and it starts and appears to run fine. After further review I found the 2 passenger side cyclinders were not firing.

Spark plugs spark, and are wet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gator1968

Cadet
Re: 1976 135hp Evinrude not firing

If it's like mine 1978 115 v4 on the fake a lake only two will fire. I have to take mine to the lake and get it under load. I don't know why. I read it somewhere on this site as well.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a similar problem with a 77 85HP. Checked all of the connections and made sure all were bright n tight. In final bout of desperation decided to spray some contact cleaner under fly wheel. Engine started and ran just fine after that.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Thanks for suggestions. I also have a 3 cylinder. Bought it in rough condition and not running. Got it running on 2 cylinders. Unfortunately the 3rd cylinder was not firing and blew. I think the reeds were bad and it was not lubricating. Learned alot. Replaced it with another 3 cyclinder that I had to restore and get running. I'm very cautious now. Do not want to destory a nice motor, again, by running it without cyclinders firing.

Will clean the carbs and try again. Anyone know what carbs feed the passenger side cyclinders ? Is there anything else that I can check?

Cthom5436

Cadet

Have a running engine in appearance, but after further review two cyclinders are cold and apraently not firing. Strange, because the engine appears to be running fine.

Would anyone know if low pressure from the fuel pump might impact just 2 cyclinders?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The cylinders on a V4 are numbered from top to bottom as they attach to the crank; from the rear of the boat:​

4​

The top carburetor services 1 and 2, the bottom carburetor services 3 and 4.​

The fuel pump fills the float bowls on each carburetor equally and at the same time and is not indicated under conditions where certain cylinders are not acting the same as others.​

The fuel pump and primer bulb simply fill the float bowls. The vacuum created by the pistons pulls the fuel through the carburetors to the engine for firing. On the V4 crossflow with choke plates, the two processes are not related.​

Cthom5436

Cadet

Interesting. 2 & 4 are not firing, and are serviced by different carbs.

Since the boat was sitting for 12 years, I will proceed to cleaning both carbs. Will also buy the pressures gage and test the fuel system after the pump. Can't hurt.

Thanks for you help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Even more interesting is that each crossflow carburetor on your engine has two barrels, two high speed orifices (jets) and two low speed orifices as well as two throttle plates and double chokes, so that they perform as though you had four carburetors.

It is a little uncommon for two carburetors on a crossflow to fail at the same time on the same side, so you might want to reexamine your ignition wiring.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Slept on your comments.

Power Pack is new. Have good spark. There seems to be gas in cylinders.

Do you think the ignition wiring is a problem even with good spark?

Could the timing be off on just 2 cyclinders ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your opening question said that two cylinders were not firing! Later, you again say "Have a running engine in appearance, but after further review two cyclinders are cold and apraently not firing. Strange, because the engine appears to be running fine."

It isn't that hard to confuse me, but how can you say you have spark and then say no fire.

All that you need to get combustion in a cold two stroke are enriched fuel/air mix, compression, and spark.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Sorry for the confussion.

The engine appears to run well. Sounds good, smooth, however I felt the left two cylinders and plugs and they were luke warm, while the right two cyclinders were hot.

I checked all four cyclinders, they have spark. Double checked with a timing light. The only way I know how to check for fuel in the two cyclinders is to remove the plugs and turn the engine. It spits our fuel.

This can't be normal. I am starting it and running it for about 10 seconds. I do not want to run it harder for fear of damaging it.

Your thoughts ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 1976 V4 only has one thermostat, so if one side is running hot while the other is cold, there may be a moved or missing water deflector.

BTW,The starboard sid of my 1976 V4 always ran a little hotter than the port side.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Interesting

When I started this project the plugs were new. The plugs on the cold side are dark, like they have fired.

Your comment makes me wonder if one side is cooling faster. Maybe it is firing but cooling.

I'm going to buy two new plugs for the left side. For $5 I can see if the plugs are firing.

Thanks for watching my thread. I will let you know how the new plugs look after running it for a few seconfds.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you running this on muffs? If so it will run on two cylinders and sound OK, but there is no backpressure and it probably won't run in the water. Since you have verified that there is spark when it is running on all four try spraying some pre mix from a spray bottle down each carb throat and see if the motor picks up speed. It would be unusual for both carbs to be clogged on the same side, but it is easy ennough to test for.

Cthom5436

Cadet

What are muffs ?

I tried your idea and sprayed fuel in the carbs. The 2 cyclinders in question are now hot.

Should I test the fuel pressure next ? Then start the carb rebuild ?

Again, thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"Muffs" is a term for the clamp on hose connectors sometimes used for flushing motors.

Fuel is drawn from the carburetor float bowls by the vacuum from the cylinders, not by pressure. If you are not getting fuel normally, rebuild the carburetors using new kits and check the leaf block assemblies while you have the carburetors off.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Makes sense. The bowls have to be full from pumping the ball. I think the problem has to be after the pump.

It did sit for 12 years so a carb rebuild makes sense.

Thanks

Cthom5436

Cadet

Wanted to update those that are helping me.

Cleaned the carbs. Still having the problem. Not getting fuel, running on two right cylinders.

This time I opened the rear butterflys maually. It took off. All 4 cylinders fired and were hot.

I am now working on linkage.

My $400 bass boat deserves a better mechanic, however, it is stuck with me. My wife still doesn't get it. When I guy ask you if you want to buy a bass boat with a 135 Evinrude for $400, the answer is automatically yes.

Again, thanks

Cthom5436

Cadet

Wanted to let you know how this one ended.

The engine was not firing on the 2 left cylinders. After about a year of tinkering, I discovered the intake manifold was not sealed properly on the left side. Bought a new gasket and she now runs on all four cylinders.

Thanks for your help.