mini jacker

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
I currently have a aluminum boat with a long shaft motor. Right now I am using a home made transom elevator made out of angle aluminum and a 2x6. It works, but I am not sure how sturdy it would be if I hit something real hard. My motor is a 25hp long shaft and is pretty darn powerful.

My question is will a mini jacker bring it up the whole 5 inches? Or does it only do about 3 inches?

thanks

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mini jacker

if i were you i would think about what i loved more. the boat or the motor..and then sell the other and get one that will fit your needs. I am guessing that 25hp could be traded for a short shaft, and thatr would solve all of your problems. I don't like jack plates on small aluminum boats

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you use my plan? picture of your boat and motor will help..if built right transom elevator is stronger than a mini jacker.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

I dont have a picture, but what I did was use 4 pieces of aluminum angle. The aluminum angle is a bout an inch wide, or a little wider, and not sure how thick. Its not quite 1/4". I used stainless 1/4" bolts and bolted a 2x6 inside the 4 pieces of angle aluminum and then bolted that to the transom, almost all the way down the transom. The 2x6 is 14" across. Its working fine now, but how sturdy is that angle aluminum if I were to hit something? Would it bend before it broke?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as sturdy as the transom. just use big washers. this is my plan.

transomelevator001.jpg