How to get a stuck prop off?

Okay... so you may have noticed my other post I just posted about the TRS removal.

On the other outdrive I can't get the prop off. Hadn't been greased in quite some time I don't think. How do you budge it loose? I'm going to go grab some penetrating oil and WD-40 and spray them down all day.

Any other tricks? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to get a stuck prop off?

Ayuh,... No real Secrets,...

Lots of penertrating oils, maybe some Heat,.. Lots of Beating.... a Prop Puller maybe,...
If all else Fails,... Cut it off with a Grinder...

chiefalen

Captain

You need pb blaster and a hammer, beat it like a cheating wife.

Kidding on the beating part more damage can be done with a hammer then a gun on a boat.

I keep a small ball preen hammer on my boat the smallest one i own.

Shoot it with the blaster and tap the prop up off keep shooting and tapping it will come.

I went through this last year, and we had to heat it with a propane torch(wal mart $20) and tap(not wack) it evenly, as we went.
Slow process, to be sure, and you only want to heat the prop.
This worked for us, a prop puller is never a bad idea though.
Good Luck!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would use a puller. Buy one so you have it for"next time"

Beat on it, and you'll either hurt yourself or the drive or both.

Pull it once a year and you won't have to do this again!

I guess a prop puller would be all good and gravy, but I don't think I can get it behind the prop. I don't really know what kinds of props and outdrives you can use these things one... my props on both of my Scarabs go all the way in to the outdrives about half an inch, and also on my stingray too.

How are you supposed to get a prop puller behind there if the prop goes up inside your outdrive? Maybe I don't understand how these work...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The puller goes inside the prop. However, try taking the nut off and removing the spacer. Then replace the nut (and cotter pin if you have one). Make sure the nut is locked on somehow without being tight aginst the prop, you want a space between the nut and the prop. Back the boat down the ramp on the trailer so the prop is fully submerged and put it in reverse. Give it some throttle, check the prop, if it's not loose try a little more throttle.

Heating may be the only resort but remember that heating the hub means youre heating the rubber hub too.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can find it Kroil Penetrate oil is great stuff, Working in the ship yards I have seen it do some amazing things.

Google reaserch it.

mthieme

Captain

On ships they use explosives, Bob, wanna field this one?:)

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not Always fellows............

Can you say the "New Carissa Shipwreck" 1999 > September 24, 2008

COOS BAY, Ore. ? Salvage crews on Tuesday lifted the final big piece of the New Carissa shipwreck out of the sand on a beach near Coos Bay, eliminating the last visible evidence of the hulk that's been a feature of the Oregon coast for 9 ? years.

reelfishin

Captain

I had a 1982 Mercury 50 on which the prop wouldn't budge, the only way I found in the end to remove it was to cut it away a bit at a time. The thing was corroded on so bad that the hub itself had to be chipped away 1/8" at at time. It took half a day to get the thing off. Heat, penetrating oil, time, pullers, nothing would budge it. After seeing how bad it had bonded with the shaft, I know there was no other way. The worst part was that the prop had only been on there a few months, but was most likely put on bone dry and then ran in saltwater and left sit. My guess that whoever put it on most likely had forced it on as well, that combined with the fact that there was sand, salt, and that they don't make a smaller prop puller to fit that motor, really doomed that prop.

Just keep in mind that the prop is the least expensive part at hand, and make certain it's the only part you sacrifice in the process.

The puller goes inside the prop. However, try taking the nut off and removing the spacer. Then replace the nut (and cotter pin if you have one). Make sure the nut is locked on somehow without being tight aginst the prop, you want a space between the nut and the prop. Back the boat down the ramp on the trailer so the prop is fully submerged and put it in reverse. Give it some throttle, check the prop, if it's not loose try a little more throttle.

Heating may be the only resort but remember that heating the hub means youre heating the rubber hub too.

None of the pullers I've seen go inside the prop... but I think I know which kind you are talking about.

And TRS drives with quicksilver props don't have any rubber or plastic hubs to melt. It's all steel prop splines on steel shaft. That's it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you have the solid hub props you're in luck. Heating those works better than heating a rubber hubbed prop. See? Things are looking up already!

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just went through this myself it took a press with ten tons of pressure and a torch, it finally gave in but now i gotta get a new hub..... but cheaper than a new ss prop!!