fuel/oil mix ratio?

kevinm

Recruit
I have a 65 ESKA 400 SEARS TED WILLIAMS 4 HP aircooled motor model#1144
Just wondering if somebody could give me the correct fuel/oil mix.I've heard 16:1 25:1 50:1,just want to get it right,I'm pretty green:D when it comes to outboards.

thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel/oil mix ratio?

All my after market service manuals 67-89 for motors 61-69 say 16:1, useing a good grade of outboard oil.

kevinm

Recruit

wow 26 views and only one post,must be a really hard question,or maybe it's because i'm a noob.
well anyway,steelespike thank you for your advice.

ebry710

Ensign

wow 26 views and only one post,must be a really hard question,or maybe it's because i'm a noob.

Welcome to iboats.

Rank has its perk. If you look at the number on responses the steelespike has, when he come up with an answer, its probably right. Now if you asked what brand of oil is best, then you will get a ton of responses.

kevinm

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.

Rank has its perk. If you look at the number on responses the steelespike has, when he come up with an answer, its probably right. Now if you asked what brand of oil is best, then you will get a ton of responses.

thanks but no thanks,I think i'm done with iboats here.I really can't stand forums that rate people by how many posts they made.I tried,but I'm not wasting my time,funny how everyone forgets that they were a noob once too.I guess i'll go ask a professional,not some weekend warriors.

thanks for nothin Iboats forum snobs.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

WOW, where did that come from?? We're all just the same as you, started with one post.I've asked Qs and had NO answers.Keep in mind most here have full time jobs maybe 2 jobs we're here because we love boating/boats etc.want to help other boaters and noobs probably get priority.Some of us are new to boating.Some have been around longer.I have been boating 60 years had my own boat at 6 operated by myself.1.5 Evinrude on a 10ft.As far as your Q I happen to have a 1/2 dozen aftermarket service manuals.I'm retired so I had the time to check each to be sure all up to date.Then spent a few minutes hunt and peck typing and proof reading to be sure I made sense.Did it occur to you that some of those views could have been other "noobs" hoping to pick up a little info. A 65 motor 44 years old some of the guys here weren't even born yet so not likely to have first hand knowledge.Hope you stick around.

Ned L

Commander

I wouldn't consider a posting # to correlate to a quality of answer, so don't worry about it.
As for your question, I agree that 16:1 is correct. It doesn't need to be measured out precisely. A quart of 2-cycle oil in a 5-gallon can or in a 6-gallon tank will work fine. That's what I grew up with (since your outboard was pretty new). We had a variety of outboards & never had a problem; at least one engine is still running fine today.
Too much oil = maybe a bit of blue smoke & long engine life
Too little oil = seized engine.

(Didn't mean anything personal 'Steelspike', certainly your answer was right on, my comment was a generalization. I wait to see what type of information & answers comes out of poeple first.)

kevinm

Recruit

WOW, where did that come from?? We're all just the same as you, started with one post.I've asked Qs and had NO answers.Keep in mind most here have full time jobs maybe 2 jobs we're here because we love boating/boats etc.want to help other boaters and noobs probably get priority.Some of us are new to boating.Some have been around longer.I have been boating 60 years had my own boat at 6 operated by myself.1.5 Evinrude on a 10ft.As far as your Q I happen to have a 1/2 dozen aftermarket service manuals.I'm retired so I had the time to check each to be sure all up to date.Then spent a few minutes hunt and peck typing and proof reading to be sure I made sense.Did it occur to you that some of those views could have been other "noobs" hoping to pick up a little info. A 65 motor 44 years old some of the guys here weren't even born yet so not likely to have first hand knowledge.Hope you stick around.

yeah but why open the thread and not post(which over fifty people did)You can just rest your cursor on the thread title and read it without actually open it.Sorry if I come off a little hostel,but I felt i was being snubbed for being green.And i'm not here to be a troll.I have particapated in other forums and post count and join dates seem to play a roll on how one is treated,so maybe I have misjudged this forum,sorry to have offended anyone.

thank you steelespike and ned
for your kind responce

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your reply I find trying to read a post at the title difficult it usually vanishes before i can read all.Keep in mind that reading at the title doesn't give any answers and some may be looking for the solution to put away in their memory bank.Your title doesn't mention what motor so at least in my case I take a look. I don't think anyone posts just to post imagine scrolling through 25 or more sorry can't helps to find an answer.I wouldn't be surprised if I don't post on 30% of what I open.
Feel free to ask any question about your motor or any boating related Qs.
There are lots of forums here lots and lots of info.
As far as a newbee They are the life blood of boating and I'm sure most here would agree.Many give a formal welcome when helping firstime posters.
Also keep in mind there are no stupid Qs If you don't ask you can't very well learn.Even with 60 years I've learned a heap here.Better late than never,
Welcome.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

yeah but why open the thread and not post(which over fifty people did)

I looked at your post earlier and did not answer......because I did not know the answer! It's kind of frowned upon here to give people advice that is a wild-a**ed guess. What would happen if I guessed 50:1 just to give an answer and you actually went and ran the motor and blew it up? I look at most every post, but answer very few. Just when I answer one, I'm always right! :D:D

ebry710

Ensign

I have never seen a new person snubbed and I do have a respect for guys around here that have that many postings. It isn't that a new person cannot be as knowledgeable as a a person who is around a lot, but for oil ratios on engines they usually have seen them all.

I have only been using iboats for a year. With these people I have set up my boat, my engine, my rigging, my trailer and learned a lot. It won't be for everyone, but you have to admit you got the answer to your question, which has to be worth something

freddyray21

Commander

only one post as the question was answered. we can post we agree I suppose, but why?