How do I align and position rotor assembly after replacement?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Engine is a 1990 3.0L (Alpha 1 Gen 1) with good 'ol points ignition.

Okay, so I had to remove the rotor assembly in order to tighten a starter bolt and, in the process, lost track as to how the rotor was aligned.

Assuming no points of reference, how can I go about getting the timing close enough in order to get it started and use a proper timing light?

I've gotten it to pop and wheeze, but that's about it. I figure I'll ask here before I break something.

FYI, I have the manual, so references to it won't be lost on me.

Thanks guys.

PS: Which sid eof the engine is the 'front'? Towards the water pump? The manual doesn't specify. Also, am I correct in saying the #1 cyl is at the water pump?

Alumarine

Captain
Re: How do I align and position rotor assembly after replacement?

Hello. When you say the "rotor assembly" do you mean you had to pull the complete Distributor out of the block?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

"pull the complete Distributor out of the block?"

Correct. And it's safe to say I have no idea which way it was facing when I pulled it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go up to the adults only sticky, download manual #13 for your engine, then go to page 4B-10. How to install distributor/engine disturbed.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I have already followed the manual and so far it sounds as though it wants to start, but the second I let off the starter it instantly dies. I'm beginning to worry about killing my starter doing this over and over.

So far I have:

Cranked until the #1 cyl (I'm assuming #1 is towards the front of the boat) is at TDC
Aligned the divit mark on the crank pulley with the 0deg mark
Put the rotor assy back in, with the rotor pointing towards the bow
Rotated the dist until the points are just barely open
Placed the #1 plug wire directly above where the rotor tip is facing (again, towards the bow)
Wired the plugs in (clockwise) 1342 order.

Is there a step somewhere I am missing, did wrong? Which direction should I adjust the dist assy to get the engine to start if it won't as is?

Don S

You have to have #1 cyl at TDC on the compression stroke.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Like Don said - it may be 180 degrees out. You can try simply turning the distributor 180 degrees and see if that helps. Also - instead of lining up the marker to 0 degrees - put it on the proper mark for your engine - which I would assume would be around 8 degrees before top dead center.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the help, guys. After redoing the timing 5 more times with no improvement, I took off the carb and gave it a rebuild. Sure enough, it was flooding!

Gave it a quick go-through and it started up first try once I remounted it. A quick adjustment using my handy vacuum guage and she's purring better than I've ever heard her before! Very excited!!

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

i'm not a mechanic and i'm sure the guys that are will laugh but.
I couldn't find tdc so what I did was remove the # one plug and put my finger over the hole. turned the engine by hand until the mark on the flywheel came around, you can tell it's tdc by the mark and verify that it is with your finger when you feel it pop. I cranked it over by hand 2 more times till the mark lined up exactly and installed the distributor with the rotor pointing at spark wire #1.

Don S

Here is the very first step (copy and paste) from the OEM service manual that I have him a link to with page number.

Engine Disturbed
1. Locate No. 1 piston in firing position by either of
two methods described below.
a. Remove No. 1 spark plug and, with finger on
plug hole, crank engine until compression is
felt in No. 1 cylinder. Continue cranking until
pointer lines up with timing mark on crankshaft
pulley,

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

i'm not a mechanic and i'm sure the guys that are will laugh but.

You were doing by the book and didn't even know it! :D

By the way - lowkee - congrats on getting it fixed!