my new gas tank is in, sending unit is wired diff tho, not sure how to wire it (pic)

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I ordered a tank exactly like my original from the maker of the original they hada print on it so the tank is exactly like the original.

except the sending unit is wired different...I'm sure someone can tell me probably exactly how to wire it I went out there and looked at it and if I could get to the unit I could eventually get it right with a meter but I hate to open it up and mess the gasket up so I need help.

in the picture below is a picture of the new tank installed and the sending unit in my hand is the OLD one from the original tank. See how it's obviously wired different?

on the new sending unit there are 2 wires do I twist them togther? or is one a ground and I should run on of those 2 the ground one over to the ground thats on the tank already (black wire on tank already)

I sure would appreciate any help because it's like 80 degrees today! I would be out on it's first trip but I gotta get this right first. thanks

Picture011-4.jpg

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: my new gas tank is in, sending unit is wired diff tho, not sure how to wire it (p

black is ground for the parts on the sender, so it goes to boat ground, pink attaches to your old yellow lead.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: my new gas tank is in, sending unit is wired diff tho, not sure how to wire it (p

black is ground for the parts on the sender, so it goes to boat ground, pink attaches to your old yellow lead.

So, you're saying run the black wire which is ground to the parts on the sending unit to boat ground.

So, would the best way to do that would be to run that black wire to the OTHER black wire which is already grounded to the tank already?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yep!

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok good deal thats what made sense to me too.

however, to make it look RIGHT what would be the professional way to do it?

let's start with the pink wire, should I put a ring lug on the pink wire then put a small bolt and nut through the ring lugs on the pink wire and the yellow wire? or butt splice them together using a step down butt splice? since the yellow wire is bigger.

what about the black wire? put a ring lug on it and fold it back and run that bolt through it just like the other black wire is now? or what.

I just would perfer to make it look decent and wire it the way a electrian who knows what he was doing would do it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That is a WEMA sender in that tank. WEMA installation wiring diagram indicates that PINK is the ground and BLACK is the sender.

PROPER WIRING INSTALLATION:
? Connect ground (pink) wire from the WEMA sending unit into a common grounding hook-up.
? Connect (black) wire from the WEMA sending unit to a gauge hook-up. If your gauge has color coded hook-ups, maintain this coding as you connect the sender and ground wires.

See http://www.wemausa.com/specifications/FORM-E.pdf

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

mark, thanks ....that confuses me haha.

anyone know for sure which is the sender wire or if infact it doesn't matter?

thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have those senders in both my main and auxiliary tanks. Pink wire goes to ground and black wire goes to the gauge.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have those senders in both my main and auxiliary tanks. Pink wire goes to ground and black wire goes to the gauge.

thanks, seems right backwards from what one would normally think but ok.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone know what guage wire the pink and black wires are on the wema sending unit?

Looks to be like a 18 gauge but thats just a guess, they're not labeled.

I need to know so I can get a step down butt splice thats sized correctly to go from 12ga to whatever the pink and black wire is on the unit which I THINK is 18..

anyone know?? thanks

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

thankya! i figured it was but wanted to be sure. I have some step down lugs in the sized i need :)