how do you make (cheap) chum.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: how do you make (cheap) chum.

we use several different types depending on what we are doing. Sometimes in the summer/fall I will cast net a bunch of smaller sardines or white bait, take it home and run it thru a sausage grinder into small bags and put it in a freezer for reef fishing. I also buy a premade chum mix that is fishfood powder and will mix that with oatmeal and menhanden oil and use it to attract small baitfish in the winter so I can live bait fish.

w.lowe

Cadet

I use a lot of menhaden oil/oatmeal when fishing for spanish macs. I also save leftover shrimp from fishing and when I get enough I'll grind them up and use that

troy6242

Recruit

Agreed, food grinder, white baits or mullet and oil frozen in mesh bags or use a chum king.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bluefish, menhaden oil, menhaden milk, stale bread and 2 cups of sand.

Send the bluefish thru a #32 grinder, add the other ingrediants and stir with a industrial paint stirer in a hand drill.
We fill up 5 gallon buckets and freeze till needed, currently have 10 buckets frozen waiting for shark season.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know I'm a newbie, but.......

In what circimstances/types of fishing would you use "Chumming"??

Rick

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost all of them.The ocean is a big place.Bring them to you.Have fun.

capt sam

Rick

generally I only do it when I'm wreck fishing, mostly for snapper. It brings the bait fish to the boat which fires up the bigger fish.

ebear

Seaman

I use all my leftovers from fish cleaning. grind em up, add some medhaden oil, than freeze for future use. [recycling]:)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Rick

Also chumming can consist of using dead "live" baits...pinfish, greenbacks, threadfins, etc. and broadcasting them around your boat. They actually make a hollow open ended plastic baseball bat looking device to throw them. It will help to hold mackerel, bonito, dolphin (dorado, mahi), around your boat. Then flip out a nice healthy big greenie and watch the action as they run him down. That is some of the more exciting live bait fishing that I do! Sight fishing is always a hoot!!

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Triumphrick........
Sounds like a ball!!!!
Can't wait to get back down there and do a little fishing!!

RE: Chumming??

Do you usually utilize chum in something like a mesh bag hung over the side, or do you more just throw it out around the general area where you are fishing??

Rick

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Both captsam and I gave a couple of options for chumming. If on a reef and bringing bottom feeders around, you drop a chum bag down to them. I actually made up a system that follows my anchor line down so the chum feeds out under my boat. That gets the smaller fish moving and gets the bigger fish closer. This targets the bottom feeders; snapper, grouper, sea bass, grunts, etc. As mentioned in my other post, broadcasting targets top water fish. Both methods are effective in drawing a crowd!
Also, I use chum to catch the baitfish. I use a mix of Purina tropical fish food, sold to the large fish farms down here, and jack mackeral. Tossing this off the back of the boat to draw baitfish within tossing distance of my bait net. Also helps to gather a larger school of fish near the boat. So i guess "chumming" covers a lot of bases....

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

go out the night before....get really drunk, eat lots of greasy foods, make sure it's hot and the seas are 3-4's then make your way to the fishing grounds. you'll have more than enough chum. works wonders down in the keys for yellowtail snapper.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Rick......

Love the idea of "rigging" a system to the anchor rope/chain......
and getting the chum filtering under the boat and where you're fishing.

Sounds like that would work great.....looking forward to trying that!!

capt sam

Both captsam and I gave a couple of options for chumming. If on a reef and bringing bottom feeders around, you drop a chum bag down to them. I actually made up a system that follows my anchor line down so the chum feeds out under my boat. That gets the smaller fish moving and gets the bigger fish closer. This targets the bottom feeders; snapper, grouper, sea bass, grunts, etc. As mentioned in my other post, broadcasting targets top water fish. Both methods are effective in drawing a crowd!
Also, I use chum to catch the baitfish. I use a mix of Purina tropical fish food, sold to the large fish farms down here, and jack mackeral. Tossing this off the back of the boat to draw baitfish within tossing distance of my bait net. Also helps to gather a larger school of fish near the boat. So i guess "chumming" covers a lot of bases....

Yep, I use a small brick with holes in it to do this sometimes when I'm bottom fishing.
I basically chum three different ways...
-the brick chum like Rick mentioned for bottom fishing.
-Chum balls for attracting baitfish specifically pinfish to net.
-the whiffle bat throw using live whitebait or threads into the mangroves looking for snook or redfish.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Capt. Sam.....
Can't wait to try some of these "tricks".....

Hopefully, by the time I get back down to Florida at the end of the year.....I'll have a whole bag of tricks....lol.

Rick

capt sam

well you'tre definitely on the right track, you're asking specific questions which is a lot easier to respond to then just teach me how to fish. By the time you move down you're gonna look like you lived your whole life here.....

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Capt. Sam.....
Can't wait to try some of these "tricks".....

Hopefully, by the time I get back down to Florida at the end of the year.....I'll have a whole bag of tricks....lol.

Rick

You'll know you've arrived after completing the following....you have wet feet, are on the bow spinning around, heaving a 12' 20# Calusa cast net about 10' out in a perfect circle and you find you are still on the boat!!!:D;)

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah....good points Rick LOL.

I did get a "throw/cast" net with the boat......I have watched a couple of videos on line about how to use - throw a net (including a smarta@#W 8 year old kid...lol).
Looks like this is something that will take some practice (and maybe a little personal instruction....lol). Maybe fairly easy when ya get the hang of it??

Rick

capt sam

throwing nets is easy with practice, just understand there's a million techniques out there and every one will work, just find the one that's easiest for you. I used to always throw big nets but my back can't handle it anymore so I stick to an 8' and a 10' net, I wouldn't get less than an 8' -1/4" or 3/8" mesh and practice, practice, practice.