1980 140 hp wont idle in Neutral HELP!

solanoi

Seaman Apprentice
ok guys so i have had this boat for about 5 months now, and i still havent been able to get it in the water, i have redone the electrical added new parts to the motor checked that everything was getting its correct voltage, pretty much a big rebuilt now my issue is that i can't start the motor in Neutral, i have to open the carb lids to start it up and if i drop it down to neutral it will just die does anyone have any suggestions please because im to the point where im gonna sink the boat and make my own tiny man made reef, another problem i have is that i bought an inductive timing light at advance auto parts but it wont work on the boat i do the same hook up procedures i would for a car but it doesnt work?????? please guys im in desperate need of help!

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 140 hp wont idle in Neutral HELP!

Have you rebuilt the carbs? That's where I would start.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I would bet that you aren't running on all 4

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You need to have the warm-up lever on to start the motor - that advances the timing for a cold start. Then you need to leave the warm up lever on and slowly move it down as the engine heats up.

If it still won't idle once warmed up, compression check, spark test, rebuild the carburetors.