1973, Evinrude 9.5 drive pin.

Rick.

Captain
Hello all. I'm just finishing up bringing the above motor back to life after many years of non use. 80% done and 80% left to go if you know what I mean. My question about the Propeller drive pin. Is it a shear pin or simply a drive pin. Compared to my 4 HP (which is a shear pin) the pin on the 9.5 looks more robust and the prop is some kind of composite material (not metal) and I'm wondering if I should order some extra pins or not. The Evinrude parts book calls them drive pins in both instances. Thank, Rick.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973, Evinrude 9.5 drive pin.

It's a drive pin, part # 307949. They will shear when you strike a solid object if the rubber bushing does not give up first. It's good practice to have the extras in the boat along with an extra stainless cotter pin.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yowsa! Buy half a dozen of the things, along with the SS cotter pins to go with them. I put a set in a drawstring cotton bag and zip tie it to something under the cowling. I have a set in each of the tackleboxes I take with me. Another set lives in the little tool box I have screwed to the transom.

I have transom plugs in each of those places, too, along with a spare key for my tow vehicle. You just never know.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I used to maintain a fleet of rental boats with those motors on them. People had no regard for running over oyster beds and would grind a propeller down to the hub in a couple of months. Rarely did they break the drive pin though. Yes, it is possible, so have a spare. The system works as intended. And yes it is a stainless steel drive pin.