Neighbors and Favors

mthieme

Captain
Well, the weather has broke (hopefully) and it's time to start all the tasks that have been piling up. I won't even bother to list the items I have...but it's everything from yard work to finish shingling the roof. Boats go without mention. I have a dead tractor in the middle of the yard, a 6" tree limb that fell last week, a table in the shop that's needs another coat or two of varnish to complete, etc., etc, etc.
Well, the neighbors are also getting there list(s) together. Two were at my driveway yesterday when I wheeled in. It seems I have too many tools.:)
Now I have no problem helping any of my neighbors; they help me. I always brag about having the best neighbors. Nobody complains, they only worry about their side of the fence, everybody helps the next guy. It doesn't get any better. Heck, I have my choice of piers to dock at!
I guess I just feel overwhelmed and want to get my own stuff done rather than put the next guys project at the top of my priority list. There always seems to be more work than time. Am I wrong?
Doubtful I'll say no; I anticipate splitting the time.
What do you guys do?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Neighbors and Favors

he helps me, with what i can handle alone, and i help him. we swap tools back and forth.

although our work does not get as far backed up as yours due to weather.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I prioritize my projects and get a list going of what HAS to be done in what order, then I start from there. Sometimes, neighbor help is needed. Then I have to coordinate with them. Helping with their projects at that time keeps everybody moving forward.

If you HAVE to get something done before helping them, say so. Just tell them "I've gotta get project X completed, then I can give you a hand." Tell them if it's gonna take a couple days or something. "I'll call ya on Tuesday." Stuff like that.

Works great for me.

-BWR

aspeck

Staff member

I help them, they help me. It works both ways and evens out in the end. Gotta go to the Church this morning for a work day ...

mthieme

Captain

BWR,
Now that you mention it, most neighbors start with "when you get time" or something along those lines...as opposed to waiting for me to wheel in after work on a Friday in the driveway. Everybody has stuff to do and understands everyone else does too. If someone needs something 'right now', it's usually either a quick hand where an additional body is needed, or an emergency. This is not a problem.
One in particular got my goat yesterday though. He's the son-in-law of a neighbor. I use this neighbor's pier - in fact it's my favorite pier to use. (I live across the street from the water). But this guy is basically a drunk who doesn't reciprocate and has a moderately sized project (1/2 day). He's wants to help. I guess this is something.

chiefalen

Captain

You have good neighbors. I live on a 14 year old cul-de-sac that has only 13 houses on it.

We all moved into the new houses within a week or 2 of each other.

And the first summer here we had a block party.

I used to lend out my stuff till i didn't get it back and it became their stuff.

So now when someone calls me i say mines broke or home depot has a sale going on right now.

I fix for a select few their small engines.

I have one good neighbor around the block that is really my good friend. Him i go fishing with and when theres something to fix i call him or he calls me.

He has access to my junk pile and i have access to his.

But i bet your neighbors never called the cops on you because they thought your dog was running wild, and he was asleep next to you on the bed.
Or your washing the car and the dog is chained to a tree about 25 feet away on my property next to the driveway, and a cop pulls in your driveway saying the guy next door says your dog just chit a pyramid on his steps.

Bye the way the guy next door is a Doctor and his wifes a lawyer, and he didn't have a screwdriver when he moved in, i can't tell you how many things i did for that guy. Haven't spokin to him in 13 years, and we go to the same party's and travel in the same social circles. Belong to the same temple.

The dog running wild belonged to a state trooper who lives around the corner from me, and was yellow and short, my dog if you saw him and the other dog would know the difference right away.

Bet you didn't have the cops called because someone backed into a car across from your driveway and the cops came in threating my wife and at the time my 15 year old daughter.

Turned out to be the pizza delivery guy, backed into the guy's brother in laws car. Had nothing to do with my family. And i was away in Washington at the time.

Bet you didn't have a neighbor come over and try to take a ladder out of your backyard and then call you to ask why it was chained up.

Bet you didn't help one guy or another on the block by pumping a full basement of water out of his house and then ask him for a stock market tip and he looks at you like you got 5 heads.

Or help another guy build a storage shed, or install a garage door opener, or program another's sprinkler system like 25 times..

Then get a call from the township that i put my garbage cans 1 hour to early.

Or that my 11 year old daughter rode the go-kart down the street, in the middle of the day. Or that you find your brand new garbage can on the side of someones else's house with the lid. I mark the bottom with red paint my house number.

Or how many of their kids came over to ask me to fix a flat on the bike or the brakes or something, when they were smaller the kid would say my dad or mom sent me over.

There is a law on the books here you can't have a cloths line, but i have a dog run in the backyard, i had tents and sleeping bags on it to dry out, and the cops pull into my driveway, a neighbor called and said they saw the stuff hanging , and called them. The cop agreed with me that it was a dog run no ticket and that i have real s--m bag neighbors.

Or how many juice packs the same kids snatched out of the cooler in my garage. Must be hundreds.

There is not one of them i didn't do something for, and thats how they repaid me, i never asked for even a thank you.

mthieme

Captain

Yep. If a cop shows up in our neighborhood, he's usually sightseeing.
Like I said, I have great neighbors. They have go-carts, scooters, etc. Nobody calls the cops. There simply isn't any petty BS. When it comes to stupid little stuff, (e.g.) trashcans, no one cares. Everyone is in the same boat.
One year, I had a neighbor come over ask if he minded if he put his 26' Trojan in his driveway. I told him I didn't give hoot what he put in his driveway. He was just covering his bases though.
Even our community association president knows when politics are required. I've been to meetings where people complain about the guy that lives across from the ramp. He's a bit of a junk collector - we call him Sanford & Son! But he does a lot of work for the neighborhood and keeps an eye out for the vehicles and trailers while those same complainers are out in their boats for the day.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chiefalen , your neighbors OBVIOUSLY are bored and have little business of their own to mind . Perhaps you should , as a gesture of good will , give them a lot of business to mind so they are not so concerned about your own . ;)

My neighbors are friendly , and , more importantly , have plenty of their own business to mind , lol .
If I see they need a hand and I have nothing important to do , I offer to help . They usually return the favor at some point .

1 thing I rarely do anymore , is loan tools or equipment .
I'll help you and use the tools myself on your project , but the tool is not leaving my custody without a deposit or some collateral .
Too many tools have not returned over the years .... :mad:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When we went looking for a new house, neighbors was one thing on the list. The fewer the better :D. Been here for 10 years now, still don't know or have spoken to the ones across the highway. The one to the east is in his 70's. We talk and have agreed that if I don't complain about his junk, he won't complain about mine. Best neighbor I've ever had. I have nobody to the west and behind is hills covered with trees. The best neighbors I have experienced are those in their senior years.

I still have many un-handy friends that are all thumbs and need my help from time to time. It can get aggravating when you have your own priorities and family plans. That is the very reason I got a boat that takes me away for the whole weekend. We tried the camper thing, but people can find your campsite. Then they think they can come and go as they please while drinking/eating your supplies you intended to get you through for the weekend. So with the cabin cruiser, we go to one end of the lake where there are no roads or cell phone signal :D. Now the ones that show up in their own boat with their own supplies,,,,,,,we get along great :D

Don't think I'm a snob and don't want to help. I will always lend a helping hand when I can. Its only when helping others that overrides my personal time is what makes me become selfish. I work many hours and I find my personal time more precious as each year passes.

mthieme

Captain

The neighbors pose no problems when it comes to loaning tools. This is infrequent to begin with. They are always returned immediately right after the job. It's a blue collar neighborhood - everyone makes a living with tool and respects that.
In-laws are a totally different story. You'll never see it again.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Between the family and a few great friends, who has time for neighbors:confused::confused::confused:

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only if your neighbor has a mansion full of playboy bunnies :D .........Then it would be a totally different story for me :D

I would then be willing to share temporary JOINT custody of a tool , with said bunnies . :D :D :D

chiefalen

Captain

Yo if a bunny wants my tool she can have it anytime anyplace.

I guess Im lucky. Almost all of neighbors dont do anything they can hire someone to do. They even pay to have their doggie poo removed from the yard. Im the only do it your self type around here .There are few things around a home or on a car I cant fix and they know it. Too bad there is nothing they can do for me or that I need from them .or maybe its a good thing. I even built my 3 car garage and did the electrical without asking for or paying for help.......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well my neighbors to the west number over 300...... about 294 are bovine and 1 canine :)

Living along side a farm we all stick together. We do everthing ourselves until we need that little extra advice or help. We are always there for each other.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Very few neighbors here, bought this house couple years ago brand new during the boom..lots of empty lots all around and empty houses too...

Had one family with 2 little girls that would come over and hang out all day long with Dianes daughter, they were a PITA but hey, just kids...

Had their parents over for a BBQ, ate up, drank up & left..Never another word in passing or a invite over to their house..
I would yell at them for leaving their bikes dropped in the driveway behind my truck or the woman Rodeo..Musta told em 100 x's...

Well one day sure enough, I jump in my truck and start to back out..crunch scrape..SON OF A GUN! FREEKIN FRAKIN bike is twisted under my 06 Nissan Frontier...

The girl and I walk down the street, her dad is cutting the grass, she's bawling like, well a kid...He is upset, It was a brand new bike...
He looks at me and says "Well...???"
I throw the bike about 5 feet and say WELL...I guess she may learn a lesson from this!"

A couple months later, they left in the middle of the night and the house is vacant with a bank repo sale.....

When we were in our apartment during Hurricane Charley (no power for a week..) I was up at 5 am hitting the few places to get ice and basic supplies..
We had our freezer stocked before the storm and had tons of food defrosting so we took food to the neighbors across the hall, gave ice to those that didnt have any, just things that the man upstairs expects from ya.
Word got around we had an old school land line phone (keep one in our hurricane supplies) Everybody else had cells that were dead or cordless phones that were useless without electricity..Needless to say we had lots of people knocking on our door using the phone....

As soon as the power was back on and they didnt need anything, I could barely get a hello outta any of em....

Shizzy

Ensign

all the reasons stated is the main reason only a select few people know what I went to school for and what things I can fix. I found out early on everyone wants stuff fixed for free yet once you call them for some help they are busy or sick. I cant count how many roofs I tore off, lawns I have mowed or walks I have shoveled just because it needed to get done with no expectation of pay or an earned favor. A cold beer and a Ham sandwhich is usually plenty for me. In fact the only time I mention I went to school for auto body repair is if the guy Im talking to mentions he was in the same industry. Too many folks want their POS painted for $100 and cant understand why you ripped your own face off and threw it at them when they asked :mad:

mthieme

Captain

I spent 3 hours today milling and gluing up some huge pieces of oak which is going to be a bar top. We'll see if this guy reciprocates. He did bring me a piece of walnut and two bottles of glue.
I really wanted to get my 35 Merc running. I managed to swap carbs, but it only runs for a second and dies.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you have to be careful what you loan.......lot of times it doesnt come back.

i will loan a few select things to a few select people..........any other time i go with my tools.

i dont mind helping out a neighbor but seldom if ever ask for anything in return.

i would rather be left alone to do my own thing.........if i cant physically do something myself i will buy some beer and call a friend....no need to bother my neighbors...............of course my closest neighbor is at least a 100yds away----my mom.......shes not as stout as my buds :D.....well maybe a few :eek: