Just a click

zach103

Commander
Alright the 77 evinrude hasn't run in about 5 years.. so i read that Awakening the Sleeping OB and did everything it told me too and cleaned all the connections.. its hooked up to gas. and battery(ya its charged) with a tub of water under it.. Pushed in the key and turned. and just got a click.. . tried this a couple times and thats all i got. . what should i look for

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just a click

Check all terminals for corrosion and ample tightness. Check the starter connections too. Clicking with a charged battery usually means bad connections.

MAS

zach103

Commander

thats what i was thinking.. alright im gunna clean them all again and check everything like you said.. whats the best way to clean them

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

emery cloth, contact cleaner, be careful, it may take paint of the motor.
also try jumping the solenoid. and see if the starter will engage.

JB

Starter circuit troubleshooting is in "Outboard won't start" in the Engine FAQs Forum.

zach103

Commander

how the heck did i miss that one.. i looked in there for soemthing like that too.. ok ill try now

zach103

Commander

so the click is just the choke moving up and down.. but thats gotta mean i have power to it right..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The choke solenoid working tells you that you have power to the remote control, the fuse is OK and that the choke is functioning.

When you turn the key to start, the starter solenoid should click but not the choke solenoid.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Place a wrench or large screwdrive across the two main contacts of the starter solonoid and see if the starter activates. If it does, either A: the solonoid is bad (it happens, but not too often), B: You have a safety which isn't working (or is doing it's job ;) or C: You have some bad connections somewhere along the line (key switch, lanyard, solonoid, safety switch(es)).

Good luck and let us know what it is.

PS: If you jump the solonoid and the starter turns, don't try and start it up as a bad or triggered safety switch may be preventing it from starting anyhow.

JB

Do the troubleshooting in "Outboard won't start", Zach. That will take the guesswork and wasted time and bux out of the problem.

zach103

Commander

so must have been something in the remote.. i took the whole thing apart and put back and it worked.. i saw the starter move up to the flywheel. so im gunna try starting tomor

zach103

Commander

ok so i took a video on my phone but its too big to send and i have no way to get it on here..

tried the motor today the starter comes up and moves the fly wheel but only maybe one rotation(the starter makes one rotation) than it seems like it struggles a for a second than pushes the fly wheel again.. same thing over and over.. at one point it spun the fly wheel a full rotation

i feel like it could be the battery

zach103

Commander

this motor cant make up its mind.. i took the spark plugs out help them up against the block.. first one blue spark right away.. bottom one took a couple tries than got some spark.. but than the starter kept running.. i turned the key to off. took it out and finally just took the cable off the battery.. .. now when i put the cable back on the battery the starter automatically starts.. what the heck is going on?

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

outboard motor gremlins.

Sounds like you have some electrical issues to sort out. You are going to need a factory manual. NOT a Clymer manual or a some other manual that covers lots of different years and horsepower. Get an actual OMC manual that covers your specific year of V4.

zach103

Commander

its on its way still.. ordered it the other day.. boss said it was the solenoid so i got a new one.. it started.. but stayed at WOT so i feel like every moving part on this motor needs to be lubricated.. whats the best lube that you guys recommend.