Dumb question - winch strap from top or bottom of drum?

Moody Blue

Captain
So here is my dilemma. I'm in the process of designing a new winch mast/bow stop and wondered if it really matters if the strap unwinds from the top or bottom of the winch drum.

I have it worked out well if the strap comes off the bottom of the drum but can't come up with an approach that works if the strap comes off the top of the drum.

Have it configured so that the bow stop rests about 3" above the bow eye.

What say you, top or bottom ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dumb question - winch strap from top or bottom of drum?

are you right or left handed. right handed people prefer to turn the handle clockwise, left handed prefer counterclockwise. that determines whether the strap feeds off the top on bottom.

there are some cheap winches, that only have the lock, on clockwise winches.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

As recall, all my trailer boats (past and present) have had the winch strap set up from the top. I don't see why it wouldn't work from the bottom....as long as the ratchet mechanism is going the right way!

NYBo

Admiral

As long as the strap is routed so that the bow eye is cinched up to the bottom of the bow roller on the trailer, it shouldn't matter. My winch has a cable, but it comes off the bottom.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Simple mechanics. Having the cable come off the bottom of the drum would apply less force to the base, assuming a base mounted winch, than if run off the top.

Does it really matter one way or the other, don't know.

Moody Blue

Captain

there are some cheap winches, that only have the lock, on clockwise winches.

Very good point, didn't think of that. Its a pretty good 2 speed winch but will check the ratchet mechanism tomorrow.

Seems a little odd to me to wind CCW to retrieve but I can't see a way to configure the winch and bow stop with the strap coming off the top.

Anyone care to send some photos to give me some inspiration :confused:?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I don't recall seeing any winch that you could switch the direction on. But then I haven't seen every winch ever manufactured either. If you wind the crank clockwise the drum is going to turn counterclockwise so you cannot have the strap coming off the bottom. The ratchet should be engaged anytime you are cranking so if your hand slips off the handle the rearward motion of the boat doesn't result in a broken wrist as the spinning handle slaps your forearm. The only way you can pull this off is to have the ratchet open when cranking. And the real downer is that the ratchet is designed to lock in one direction. Not both. So if you wind a clockwise winch in a counter clockwise direction, the ratchet will not hold because it is designed to hold in the other direction. That's why its called a ratchet.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Check to make sure the winch handle isn't reversible.

When looking at the handle side of the winch with the cable coming out of the left, cranking the handle CW would rotate the drum CCW which would wrap the cable from the bottom of the drum .

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Think here folks. If you turn the crank clockwise standing on the right side of the rig, the drum rotates counterclockwise winding the strap/cable onto the top of the drum. If you move to the other side of the trailer and crank counter clockwise the drum still turns counter clockwise. All you did was move to the other side of the trailer. Nothing changes. The net effect is you are turning the drum the same direction from either side of the trailer. Look at the shaft the crank is mounted on from the opposite side as you turn the crank from the right side. You will see that end of the shaft is turning counter clockwise and the drum is turning clockwise. The drum will still wind the cable on the top. Besides - which direction the drum rotates is inconsequential. It's the ratchet that's the issue. It is designed to hold in one direction only. That's why it clicks as you turn the handle but locks in the other. If the ratchet is reversible, or if you elect not to use it while cranking, then yes you can indeed manage to wiind the strap or cable off the bottom. If that ratchet is not reversible, it will not hold in the reverse direction with the cable off the bottom of the drum. If you happen to be one of those that doesn't use tie downs, you can easily end up with your boat laying on the pavement.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Simple mechanics. Having the cable come off the bottom of the drum would apply less force to the base, assuming a base mounted winch, than if run off the top.

Does it really matter one way or the other, don't know.

I would think that as long as you have the bow eye snugged into the bow roller, you will be fine.

reelfishin

Captain

It makes no difference which way the winch winds on the strap or cable, I usually use the direction which works best for each particular set up. I had one trailer which gave me to choice but to wind the cable on from the bottom.

I've also had a few lighter trailers on which the winch had to be mounted with the handle on starboard side to keep the cable from contacting either the winch or bow stop. (Winch mounted on the rear of the bow stop).

I had another which mounted under the winch stand, upside down, this also put the handle on the starboard side of the boat and on that the cable was wound on what would have been the lower side of the spool. That configuration worked great since the winch was well protected from weather and the cable ran just below the bow stop roller. The left hand cranking took a bit to get used to but was no big deal. I have had a few winches which could be assembled in reverse, putting the handle on the opposite side, that pretty much only required that there was a way to attach the ratchet spring on the other side.

Moody Blue

Captain

So it looks like there is no one particular method that is right or wrong, just depends on the winch's ratchet mechanism.

Another question that has come up is about the bow stop. I've just come to realize there is the "V" shaped stop and the roller type. Is one better suited to any particular situation than the other? How close should I aim to get the stop positioned above the bow eye?

reelfishin

Captain

So it looks like there is no one particular method that is right or wrong, just depends on the winch's ratchet mechanism.

Another question that has come up is about the bow stop. I've just come to realize there is the "V" shaped stop and the roller type. Is one better suited to any particular situation than the other? How close should I aim to get the stop positioned above the bow eye?

It's more a matter of personal preference. Myself I prefer the V stops since I like the wider pad area, and they seem to cushion a bit more. Most larger trailered boats seem to use a V stop, if not a pair of them.

Moody Blue

Captain

Checked out the winch and the ratchet mechanism can be set to work in either direction so I'm good to run the strap from the bottom of the drum.

Took a drive through a local boat storage yard to look at trailers and see how other were done. I was surprised to see that MOST trailers were built so that the bow stop is below the bow eye.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think when you look at it,the bottom would be best,it would lift the boat up to the roller.But simple goemetry would tell you that if the strap was at the top,all the locking mechanisms would be more secure while trailering.Less chance of something coming loose.Don't you think ?

reelfishin

Captain

Checked out the winch and the ratchet mechanism can be set to work in either direction so I'm good to run the strap from the bottom of the drum.

Took a drive through a local boat storage yard to look at trailers and see how other were done. I was surprised to see that MOST trailers were built so that the bow stop is below the bow eye.

Those were most likely older trailers, the proper set up is to have the winch strap below the bow stop, that way in the even of a collision, the boat can't rise up and over the winch. The strap contacting the bow stop itself would help stop it.

The winch isn't really there to secure the boat, it's only there to retrieve the boat and get it onto the trailer. You should use a turnbuckle and transom straps to secure your boat.

I've had two trailers that used two winches, one in the normal location, the second one mounted high atop the winch stand to allow the boat to be winched on in very shallow or rough areas. It kept the cable up off the trailer and kept the bow of the boat up high.