manual trim

Lalli

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a boat in the repair shop right now, but it should be ready by spring. It has a 1969 mercury 1250 without electric trim. My question is to those of you who have experience with this, will it be a complete pain in my neck boating around the lake this summer without the e-trim? What about loading the boat without the trim? any tips or answers will be greatly appreciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: manual trim

The short answer is Yes! No tilt&trim means you will likely hit bottom launching and retrieving the boat. Running through shallow water means you run the rist of hitting bottom. Can you get by if you are very careful? Certainly -- boaters did it for years before power tilt became available.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I've had my boat for a year and I was running a river it really limited my fishing. If I wanted to get in shallow I paddled. I just purchased a ptt unit for my force outboard and I plan on hitting a few new areas this summer. It will also make launching and beaching a little easier.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you plan it is not a big problem. No, you can't adjust on the fly so it limits performance. No, you can't raise it up to go really shallow. Other than that, you can have a lot of fun boating. You will have to make several trials as to how each setting performs. What gives you best speed won't give you the best ability to run slow and pull water toys. You would be amazed how many people have power trim and have no clue about its use.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You can run around for years without power trim/tilt. You just need to be careful and make some concessions. You will never know what you are missing.

Once you have used power t/t though, you will never want to boat without it.

Lalli

Seaman Apprentice

That is kind of what i was hoping, since i have never had it before i shouldnt really know what i am missing. It still seems to me though that it would be kind of hard loading the boat without the tilt/trim. the engine has four or five different levels to set it manually so I guess I will just have to experiment with it. Thanks to all who replied, keep the tips coming if you have any.