Can i save her Doctor

gtpcompG

Cadet
Hey guy's I have been a member of this forom for a while now, and have learned alot of valuable info,, but i have a new question for u, i have an 85hp chrysler and i seem to have the same problem as alot of people have with this motor.. i have a number 2 cyl that the piston has came apart and did more then just score the cylinder, i have a few deep scratches.... nothing that couldnt be cleaned up. now I have come to the conclusion that the motor will prop need that cyl bored, But i am very relunctant to take on this project, not because of difficluty but because of the price of parts needed, i think we all know what i am talking about lol,, but also the fact that i am now layed off from work. So i guess my question is, is there a way to cleanup that cylinder. i have already honed it out, but am not sure in how long i should be running the honer in the cylinder... if i should just say screw it and try to find another

Attachments

• IMAG0053.JPG
    IMAG0053.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can i save her Doctor

This has nothing to do with an outboard.But many years ago I repaired a Kohler 12 hp 4 stroke garden tractor motor.Badly scored cylinder I replaced the rod,piston and rings.Honed the cylinder to at least soften the ridges a little.I ran it for several years afterwords never smoked or used oil.
Keep in mind it probably never ran much faster than 2,500 rpm.Of course that is 2/3 of its rated rpm.I worked it hard cutting grass but I don't think anything like an outboard experiences even when driven casually.Not sure about the Chrysler; but if your going to replace the piston anyway have it bored and put in an over size piston and rings.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you have light scoring, honing can take it out or reduce it to the degree where that cylinder will still deliver adequate compression. The problem with extensive honing is that because the cylinder is a closed bottom, that is, you can not run the hone all the way through, the cylinder will be tapered.

So, basically any scoring you can not clean up with a light honing of less than .001 or .002 will need to be rebored.

Since you know the condition of the rest of your block, it is usually preferable to rebore the affected cylinder and put an oversized piston in it, than to buy another block--either with or without pistons.

Replacing a single piston will cost around 300 including the boring charge.

Either way, you are going to spend a bit of money so you need to decide which way to go. If you can find a good, clean block cheaper than 300, then that may be your course.

It would be nice if you could include a locality so if there are members near you who may have a block, they could contact you in a private message.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes make sure people know your location and type and Year of motor. There are people that might have a old head in good shape lying around that you may be able to have if you just pick it up. ;)

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

JD, Who is that lovely girl in the picture?

gtpcompG

Cadet

hey guys its me again, thanks for the input... i have cleaned it up pretty good a little bit of small scoring left. but i think i may give her a try, parts are hard to come buy... if someone has any let me know.

steve model# 857BD
oshawa,ont block# g586167- at least i think it is
l1h5g2 serial# 1022

Attachments

• IMAG0053.JPG
    IMAG0053.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

She's a pretty little thing. Hey. Looks in good condition from what I can see in the photo. Hey. Wife came from Bell Island--Wabana--St. Johns Newf. Hey. Goofy Newfie, Hey. Back when the iron mine was operating. Hey. Having a bit of fun with you. Hey.

ANYWAY: Parts should not be too difficult to find: There are at least a couple of fellows in this forum from Eastern Canada and apparently Chrysler sold a good many engines there. Smatter of fact: I bought some parts from a couple of fellows there in Ontario. You can also join the Chrysler Crew forum. You can get good advice there and frequently, used parts come up for sale.

That engine was made for a good number of years with very little changes. Parts for that engine can be interchanged with almost any 70, 75, 85, and 90 HP from early 1970s to mid 1980s--1984, when the name was changed to Force. Lower units are swappable from early 1970s to about 1977-78 when Chrysler changed to a one piece lower unit--this has a different bolt pattern.

Power trim and tilt is swappable onto that engine from almost any three or four cylinder engine all the way until 1994.

If you were able to remove most of the scoring, she will run and most likely she will run decently, but not produce full power. You may not notice the difference and may be quite satisfied with her--depending upon a lot of factors.

Good luck! BTW: Come to the Chrysler Crew chat room tonight at 9-11 PM Eastern time. Google Chrysler Crew, scroll down to the Chrysler Marine website, click and then scroll down to the chat room.

gtpcompG

Cadet

hey guy's well i ran a honer through the cylinder, and it looks great compared to what it looked like, im pretty impressed, and pretty excited to try and get the old girl going. ..my next question is,, is there anything i can do to try and protect the power pack on the motor-(these things arnt cheap),, i have all ready made a DIY to the rubber locating pins for the power pack.

NYBo

Admiral

Hey. Wife came from Bell Island--Wabana--St. Johns Newf. Hey. Goofy Newfie, Hey. Back when the iron mine was operating. Hey. Having a bit of fun with you. Hey.
Hey, watch it, Frank! I'm half Newf myself (mom was born and raised in Brigus, right on Conception Bay). So type more slowly so I can understand you.:p

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NYBO--Don't want to hijack the thread so go over to Boating activities and destinations.