Hey, I'm back, and with some questions

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there everyone, it has been quite a few years since ive been here, but i'm back.
My question would be that I am looking into a few boats. One is a 79 Chris Craft with an evinrude starflite III, I know more about I/O' than outboards so is this a good model??? and how hard are parts to find?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hey, I'm back, and with some questions

A Starflite III. Does your motor look like these ones in the link?
If so, that is an old motor, a 1961. It is a 75 horse V4 with a conventional mechanical shift, which is better than the later Selectric Shift of 1962-on as far as finding parts is concerned. The same 89.5 c.i.d. block was used through the 100 horse of 1967. It requires 24:1 mix since it is pre-1964. A bit of a gas hog for being a 75 horse. A good motor, but a 1970's triple of about 70 horse gets better mileage, is lighter and uses less oil (some have the hydro-electric shift though; = lower unit parts availability problem).

Hey, it's a classic! :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some of the older 1960s V4 motors ignition parts are hard to find and expensive as I recall on some if you can find a new rotor it costs something like $45.This is first hand anicdotal so it is possible the guy was ripping him off.Allways thought of as heavy the 61 75 hp weighs 224-230lbs Light as todays 75s go.A 6 gallon tank is claimed to go 3/4 to 1 1/4 hours at wot(wide open throttle)
on a 16 ft boat that would be 6 GPH(gallons per hour) at 1 hr.
Slightly less than the 10% of hp. rule of 7.5 GPH.
13/4-2 hours at 20 mph so cruising speed could be about 3GPH.
Came with a 10" X 11" prop with 10" -12" exchange available.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright thanks, I am also looking at another boat with that electric shift thing, so will want to stay away from that. I just called the dealer, and they say the owners says it was running, but the dealer themselves never started saying it might need a new solenoid? Would that be easliy obtained?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Solenoid should be easy to find.If no reaction trying to start could just be the neutral safety switch adjustment.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya, I wish I could test it out, but the boat is in a warehouse, I suppose I could ask if I can start it, but I have a feeling the answer will be no