MerCruiser 165hp Harmonic Balancer

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had to no problem pulling it off with my Snap On master HB kit but how does one put it back on ?
No bolt in the crank snout ? Just center drilled. Trying to do it right here and not beat it on with my 5# bronze hammer. :D

While well used and 35 years old the jugs in the Nova engine look good. :cool:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: MerCruiser 165hp Harmonic Balancer

pull the crankshaft out and press it on.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It has to go on after the crank and cam are installed, the balancer goes through the timing cover.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

I ran into the same thing on mine. as it turns out, the crank did have a bolt and was snapped off in such a way it looked center drilled. my 5# rubber dead blow did the trick. Although i would never recommend it because of the possible damage that could incure to some of the internals. hope this helps.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Bridge across the front of the Block,+ Push from it,....
The thrust bearing can take the Push, it's the Beating they won't stand up too...

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bond-O is that a special push on tool ? Like it bolts where the MerCruiser front mount goes ?
I searched and found other references to the 250c.i. not have a crank bolt for use on freeing up a rust stuck 250c.i.

Dead blow here I come......Really tho the special tool sounds like an piece of 1"x2"x10" piece of steel and 15 minutes on a Bridgeport away. :)

Thanks again gang.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

You did Marinize that engine, right? Cam, freeze plugs, head gasket, carb, water pump, dist., fuel pump, alt., starter ? I never had my Harm. balancer off my engine, but i'd pack the crank end with dry ice and warm up the balancer center(but not to much to melt the rubber damper) and tap it back on. Your joking right Jason? Geesh! My Crank had threads in the center, if yours does you might try a threaded rod and make a (reverse puller) and press it on also. If no threaded center then the fist opinion would apply. good luck

Bondo

Staff member

Dead blow here I come......Really tho the special tool sounds like an piece of 1"x2"x10" piece of steel and 15 minutes on a Bridgeport away.

Ayuh,...
Or a hunk of big angle iron, a few long bolts,+ a few minutes with a torch....

It's Your choice.......;)

bigguy6f4

Seaman

im not sure where you are from, but if its cold outside you coult try warming up the balancer a bit as it will expand ever so slightly. and the cold crank will be slightly smaller and shrink with the cold. very very very slightly, however that may be enough to help you press or tap it on. Be cautious of the rubber on the blancer tho. if that thing melts its ruined.

ziggy

Admiral

i've never reinstalled a vibration damper so have no idea other than what i read...
s/m 2 says use install tool j-8292. googleing that up comes up with this. http://www.classiccruisincustoms.co...62_supplement/section_8_engine_mechanical.pdf
see pp 8-8
same tools as in the pic on pp 5A14 in mercruiser s/m 2.
looks like ya drive it on until it bottoms against the crankshaft gear.. good luck..

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Nice link there Zig, looked like a section of a PDF to me. haha. There's thrust bearings in around the crank so i wouldn't hammer to hard. Use a dampening devise maybe a wood block and or heavy wood mallet.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Beat it on with a special beater, ayuh. :D

I'm going to start that MerCruiser service manual downloading tonight when I go to bed.

ziggy

Admiral

sns, it was at the top of the google search for j-8792...

the quote from s/m 2 is pp 5A14. "Position damper on crankshaft and drive into position until it bottoms against crankshaft gear."

I'm going to start that MerCruiser service manual downloading tonight when I go to bed
yer gonna love that tool... best one in the toolbox... yer gonna get hip now...;)

Last edited:

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Not offensive at all! It's informative and helpful! BIG! :rolleyes: Anyway, Zig yeah i see that. Guess thats how it's done. :D

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea I am in the process of marinizing it right now, got the Nova engine all torn down tonight.
The lifters were a smidge tight but not bad. Cam lobes had the typical Chevy pitting. Cam gears looked as new.
Taking the short block out of the boat Saturday.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you might want to keep the timing gears matched, missmatched used gears can set up a howl that will make your hair stand on end, no big deal to swap over the crank gear

chiefalen

Captain

Turn it on end so the back is on the cement floor and a piece of wood and tap it on, don't beat it like a cheating wife or your gonna mess up the bearings.

schwonk1

Cadet

For what it's worth, I worked in the Engineering department of Hercules Engines for 20 years and some of the engine models we manufactured used a press-fit harmonic balancer. The procedure on the assembly line was to heat the balancer to around 220-240 degrees. (you could use the kitchen oven if your wife won't throw things at you) With a nice, clean crankshaft snout and clean I.D. on the balancer, it would literally drop right on the crank snout. With used parts, you might have to tap it a little.

Once the balancer is on the crank, throw a wet rag on it to cool it. This reduces the chance of damaging the timing cover oil seal from heat.

The 165 HP I am rebuilding (1969 Glastron V174) also does not have an attaching bolt in the crank snout, or a balancer. It is strictly a single groove cast iron pulley.

Hope this helps

schwonk1

fishrdan

Admiral

heat the balancer to around 220-240 degrees. (you could use the kitchen oven if your wife won't throw things at you) With a nice, clean crankshaft snout and clean I.D. on the balancer, it would literally drop right on the crank snout.

That's how I did the balancer on my 140HP (it's the same as 165HP balancer) and it worked like a charm. I waited until the wife took off to the grocery store then popped the balancer into the oven at 225*, waited 1/2 hour for it to bake through nicely and then slid it onto the crank.

(when the wife came home she was asking what smelled,,, "hmmm Dunno, must be something I'm working on in the garage":D)