Will this cause damage???

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well i just got off the phone with the dealer where the boat was bought. She told me that this boat is supposed to top out at 61mph @ 5600 RPMS w/ a 4 BLADE PROP, 23 pitch! I have a THREE BLADE tempest prop 23 pitch. Could this prop cause issues with my motor??? The motor is a Mercury 150 XR6, on a x-18 xpress. I just bought this boat last week and the guy broke the original prop and put this one on her (3 blade 23 pitch).......So will the 3 blade cause engine damage???:confused:

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will this cause damage???

What RPM is the boat running now? The only way that a (non damaged) prop could cause damage to an engine is if it allows the engine to over-rev. A 4-blade prop will sometimes allow a boat to get on plane quicker and plane at a lower RPM often with a slight decrease in top speed. If the three blade prop does not cause the engine to over-rev and you are satisfied with the hole-shot it will normally be the best choice for top speed. Just make sure that it does not allow your engine to exceed its maximum recommended RPM.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Make sure the motor is mounted properly for the 3 blade vs the 4 blade. When I switched to a 4 blade on a bass boat I had to move the motor up. You want to make sure it is performing right.... keep an eye on the rpms and water pick up.

mthieme

Captain

A 3 blade prop will not damage you engine. The majority of the props out there are 3 bladed.