seized steering

MV-McLovin

Recruit
Afternoon all

i have a 15ft Fletcher speedboat with a 60hp 1989 Mercury Outboard, over the dismal British winter the steering has seized, how can i un-seize it?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: seized steering

First figure out if it is the motor or cable. Disconnect the steering cable at the motor and turn the wheel. If it moves free, try to swivel the motor.

If the motor is truly stuck, it is likely the bottom bushing on the swivel pin. Pump some grease into the fitting and see where it comes out. If it comes out the top swivel bushing, then you need to concentrate on the lower swivel bushing. I had some success by lifting the motor up on the swivel pin to increase the space in the lower bushing. Then I was able to get grease to exit the lower bushing. I fashioned a tourniquet and twisted it tight to lift the motor up on the swivel pin. I had the motor tilted up all the way to make this easier. If that doesn't work, maybe some heat from a torch will melt out the old grease and allow you to regrease it. The very last choice is to disassemble the midsection and clean the bushings up.