What Prop to get

pyroduck

Cadet
Hey guys need your help again. I need a prop for my new boat. It came with no lower unit, so hence no prop. I have a rebuilt lower unit on the way and need to order a prop and with nothing to compare it to I have no clue. This is my situation. I have a 17 ft modified V jon boat. The boat weighs 600 lbs and with motor about 830-850. The motor is a 2005 johnson 50 2 stroke. I will be using the boat for duckhunting in bays / river / lakes. I assume stainless is the way to go, feel free to say something if not, but the real question is what pitch? I have no clue, would appreciate any help. Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Prop to get

what pitch do you have now? do you know what your present wot rpms are?

hwsiii

Commander

What I can find on your motor is that it has a 2.42 gear ratio, and with a 16" prop you should expect to get about 30 to 32 MPH out of this combination. You really didn't supply enough information to make a more exact idea of the correct speed and prop, but this should be an excellent starting point for finding the correct prop.

H

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The almost universal prop for that engine on a light 16 - 17 foot boat will be a 12-1/4 x 15P with a fair amount of cup. It will pop the boat on plane quickly and speed will be in the 30+ MPH range. I've run a similar combination in the past and have tested a number of aluminum and stainless props from 13P to 17P and always came back to the 15P. That motor will spin nicely at 5500 - 5800 RPM although the manufacturers indicates 5500 as the upper end of the bracket. Let it breathe!!!!

pyroduck

Cadet

Sorry I can't provide any additional info to help. The boat came with no lower unit and no prop. I have only started the motor once to make sure it would run when I bought it. Thanks for the help so far.