Hoist bunks

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
I was talking to my neighbor about his boat lift (Boat Floater), although I don't think brand is much of an issue. Anyway, I learned that he uses uprights to raise his triple tube 'toon and not the typical bunks. Two uprights that run the boat length in between the outer tubes and the middle tube. More like a scissor lift type of support.

Any one want to comment on if this has any long term problems? His has been in use for 8 years on his 26' Sundancer.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Hoist bunks

Sounds like he's proven there are no long term problems.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The problem with boat lifts and toons comes when you don't support enough of the boat.

We have had customers that try to use a shore station that is to small and they crushed their tubes in, whatever he is using must support enough cross members to not cause problems.

And as mthieme said if it was going to cause a problem it would have done so by now.

Alot of people don't realize the tubes are hollow and the only support is at the bulkheads.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

like a scissor trailer, he is supporting the boat, where it is suppose to be. buy the structural frame. fresh water, normal maintainance, i can see a real benefit. keeps the boat clean out of the water.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the responses. I find it rather funny that I haven't really looked to see how pontoon boats are supported on a lift.

I have one neighbor who had a woodworker friend who custom made bunks for their pontoon. Each bunk has 3 pieces of wood that were cut to form a U that each tube sat in. So it also provides some support to the sides. I have seen photos of bunks just being flat slats. I would think that this would not be an ideal support. While the trailer bunks seem to use two pieces of wood (carpet covered), angled outward, so that the bottom of the tube is not directly supported. Maybe I am just over thinking the whole issue of proper support.

BTW - The neighbor that I was talking to, used 4 pieces of old escalator handrail for his bunks and the guide portion of the Boatfloater lift. Slippery when wet, but sticky when dry. The stuff just dropped over his 2x4s on the lift and are held with screws along the sides. His cost - zip. And he saved it from the landfill.