Deep cycle battery Charge

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was told to charge a battery on a 2amp slow charge. This sale person for sears try telling me it will burn the battery up.He try telling me a 15amp charge. Is he full of ***** or i was told wrong?:mad:

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deep cycle battery Charge

Depends on the battery size and rating. You can charge at up to 20% of the (DC)batterys amp hour rating. i.e. IF you have a dc battery with a rating of 75 AH ( or more), 15 amps is good. ( Better than the 2 amps actually because it brings it up to charge faster. ) Bigger batteries can even take more.
That said, a good 10 amp automatic charger is a good happy medium IMHO
Do a search for allot of discussion on this topic.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always been told to charge a battery like filling a glass with coke. The slower ya fill it, the more charge you can get in. I bought a schumaker battery charger and the manual stated to NOT charge a marine battery less than 8 amps. I was confused so I called the manufacturer. They told me that the charger was automatic as it reduses the charge amount as the battery charges. So I should charge the battery fast until it gets almost full then the charger should slow the rate down so not to overcharge the battery. Clear as mud??

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would not use less than a 10 and charger, but make sure it is a Automatic or Smart charger. These chargers have a voltage regulator just like your cars 100 amp charger and will not over charge the battery.

The faster you get the battery charged the less damage is done from being discharged too far.

Also fully charge your battery As Soon as you can. The longer it left discharged the more damage is done and the life will be shortened.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

"The slower you charge the more you can get in!" Interesting concept and totally incorrect. Ever try to get 18 ounces of fluid into a 16 ounce container? Same concept applies to batteries. A battery accepts what it can and that's it. You cannot stuff more juice into it than it was designed for. Otherwise you would have all those electrons laying all over in the boat.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

"The slower you charge the more you can get in!" Interesting concept and totally incorrect. Ever try to get 18 ounces of fluid into a 16 ounce container? Same concept applies to batteries. A battery accepts what it can and that's it. You cannot stuff more juice into it than it was designed for. Otherwise you would have all those electrons laying all over in the boat.

Like I said, I got "set straight" a few years back when I called the charger company. Now my batteries last more than 2 years. I charge them as soon as I get back to the house with a auto charger at 12 amps.

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for posting this thread. I was told the same thing (small trickle ALL winter) and then read in my charger directions, don?t use small trickle. The directions said only small batteries, like PWC batteries, should be charged at 2amps. I just slap the charger on at 10amps a couple times a month to keep it the battery ?topped off?.