more laws that don't make sense

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i just took my son, wife and i out on our new boat for the first time since buying it and fish and wildlife stopped us twenty feet from the dock and told me about the new law stating that the driver of the vessel is now required to where a pfd while operating the boat.
the other occupants, no their fine but the driver must? it just doesn't make sense to me. why not everyone then?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
Re: more laws that don't make sense

It would make sense only if it also requires you to have the kill switch lanyard attached to the pfd.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having the lanyard attached to the driver is one thing but making him wear pfd and killswitch lanyard confuses me. because if i go in the water while driving my passangers are in serious trouble

Drowned Rat

Captain

Clearly someone writing laws in your state who has never owned a boat. :)

You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this when we have 3 boaters lost in the Gulf? Considering it is a new rig to you and your family I think PFD's all around would be a good idea.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so i just took my son, wife and i out on our new boat for the first time since buying it and fish and wildlife stopped us twenty feet from the dock and told me about the new law stating that the driver of the vessel is now required to where a pfd while operating the boat.
the other occupants, no their fine but the driver must? it just doesn't make sense to me. why not everyone then?

congratulations on your new boat!

a pfd?.............what happened to the captain going down with the ship?!

i would wear one for a while as suggested by bob..........just because its new doesnt mean its totally safe....
when i worked at ford we were running pdi's (post delivery inspection) and during the inspection we have to drive them a few miles down the road.
we had a brand new 1999 f-350 get about 1 mile down the road and the rear-end literally came out from under the truck :eek:.......i got to see the aftermath, but im glad it wasnt me driving.........they were giving this poor guy the third degree on how he was driving it for it to fall apart.........turned out it only had u-bolts on 1 side.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It might make sense. If I, as the helmsman, am required to wear a PFD, then everybody else on board is going to suffer with me.:D

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh don't worry i made my wife put on hers when i put on mine:D
looks like i'm going to have to buy some of those styish ones,
more money going to something other than my toys:( i could buy a bad*** gps for the amount those cost

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh don't worry i made my wife put on hers when i put on mine:D
looks like i'm going to have to buy some of those styish ones,
more money going to something other than my toys:( i could buy a bad*** gps for the amount those cost

i want one of those $175 pfd's thats automatic..... that would be great!...no confinement.

im too cheap ............ i have other things to buy-----lures, gas, etc.....

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cabelas has them for about a hundred. might be worth buying some stock if everyone is going to have to wear them now:) stupid louisiana

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just out of curiosity, where were you when this happened?

chiefalen

Captain

I know during fishing tournaments the driver must have the lanyard attached when the boat is moving under the main power, not the trolling motor.

The thing is my boat doesn't have a kill switch and i have been in some series wave action.

And i believe i was never in danger of going overboard.

However there has been some rogue wavs that hit us but the boat just rode over them.

I am rethinking the self inflating pfd. 100 bucks whats that compared to all the other money i already threw in the hole in the water.

EMM

Seaman Apprentice

If this happened in Louisiana this is the new law that the wildlife agent was refering to. I obtained this from the LDWF website I believe it went into effect last june or july.

All persons onboard a Class A motorboat which is being propelled by a hand tiller outboard motor shall be required to wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III, or V personal flotation device while the motorboat is underway. A handtiller outboard is described as an outboard motor that has a tiller or steering arm attached to the outboard motor to facilitate steering and does not have any mechanical assist device which is rigidly attached to the boat and used in steering the vessel, including but not limited to mechanical, hydraulic, or electronic control systems. Hand tiller outboard motor shall not mean any type of electronic trolling motor.

No person shall operate a Class A or Class One motorboat with a hand tiller outboard motor in excess of ten horsepower designed to have or having an engine cut-off switch, while the engine is running and the motorboat is underway, unless:

a. The engine cut-off switch is fully functional and in operable condition; and

b. The engine cut-off switch link is attached to the operator, the operator's clothing, or if worn, the operator's personal flotation device.

The provisions of this Section shall not apply to licensed commercial fishermen operating a motorboat while engaged in commercial fishing activities. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to sailboats Engine cut-off switch - an operable emergency cut-off engine stop switch installed on a motorboat and that attaches to the motorboat operator by an engine cut-off switch link. Engine cut-off switch link the lanyard and/or cut-off device used to attach the motorboat operator to the engine cut-off switch installed on the motorboat.

Persons engaged in watersports, which includes but is not limited to waterskiing, towing a tube, wake boarding, wake surfing, etc... must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD. An inflatable PFD does not meet the requirement. Vessel operators can not tow a watersports participant who is not wearing a pfd. Exceptions to the requirements of this subsection are allowed during Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and/or United States Coast Guard permitted marine events under the following conditions:

a. A skier engaged in barefoot water-skiing who wears a barefoot wetsuit designed specifically for such activity.

b. A skier engaged in trick water-skiing whose movements would be restricted or impeded by the bulk of a PFD. A trick water-skier is a person whose equipment and activities have all of the following characteristics:

i. Type of Skis: For standard double trick skis, a length of no more than 46 inches and width of at least 8 inches, with no keels on the bottom; for single trick boards, a length of no more than 56 inches and width of at least 22 inches, with no keel on bottom; and

ii. Tow rope no longer than 50 feet.

c. The operator of a vessel towing a trick water-skier or barefoot water-skier shall make a PFD readily available aboard the tow vessel for each such skier who elects not to wear such a device while skiing.

You can check the website for all required equipment and regulations.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Makes sense to me as far as it goes. It could require all passengers to wear PFDs, but the theory may be that the skipper will require it, particularly if (s)he has to wear one.

A PFD is more likely to save a life than a seat belt in a car. Everyone in my boats will wear one at all times when underweigh.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a bunch of crap. Wearing a life jacket should be a choice, not a requirement.

aspeck

Staff member

iboats generally has some good deals on all kinds of pfd's. Check out their prices ...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Why is it commercial industries are always exempted from these stupid laws? Somehow getting paid to be on a boat makes your boat less prone to mishaps? So much for the 'buy a comfortable inflatable PFD' theory, they state they are not allowed under the law. At least trick waterskiers get a break. After all, trick waterskiing is much safer than, say, taking a cruise around the lake in the morning, so they shouldn't need a PFD but the people sipping their morning coffee are in danger every moment.

mthieme

Captain

If the captain was the only one wearing a vest and the boat went down, the caption would surely go down with everyone else even with a vest on.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats a bunch of crap. Wearing a life jacket should be a choice, not a requirement.

Again, my thoughts were expressed better than I would have written.

Next, they will mandate that we must be wrapped in bubble wrap to walk just in case we fall down.

Whome ever writes these laws needs a "paid lover" to keep them busy.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I hate how the government tries to micro manage our lives. Like the seatbelt law, just another way to make money. I just bought a new truck, and if you take your seatbelt off at any point when the truck is on, it will buzz every 10 seconds until you put it back on. I mean that thing is annoying, it is a really loud buzz for about 5 seconds.

Even if you just have the key turned forward, with the engine off, it wants a seatbelt on. Why can't my truck just let ME decide when to put my belt on.