Gear oil question

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had a probvlem with water intrusion in my gen II drive. The nipple were the oil is tranferred between the resivior and the drive was leaking and allowing water in. When I drianed the dirve it had ALOT of milky green oil. So I fixed the leak and ran it for about 20-30 mins today and. In the resivior there is a small amount of milky oil on top of the res. Like about .5 of an inch of oil kinda like a film.

Could it be this came from the oil mixing before and it was what was not out of the drive when I changed it? ( i drained it for an hour) or is this new water. Is it common to have residue mositure when this happens? The amount of oil in the water did not increase and ti showed up about 5 mins in the run. And it is nothing like what it was before.

Also, I drained a bit of oil from the bottom of the leg and it is pretty Mobil 1 and clear.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gear oil question

i would say thats Okay, because i just changed my drive oil on my gen2 and i let everything drain completely and filled it up with fresh Green gear lube. and when i pumped up to my resivios the oild looked like the brown oil i had taken out...

I guess the leftover oil in the resivoir line got pushed back into the gear monitor when i was pumping fresh lube in.. probably the same in your case..

Also when you fill your drive. do you pump from the bottom until you see it come out the vent hole. then plug the bottom and pump from the vent hole till the monitor fills up??

i did this and when i pulled the pump out from the vent, it SPEWED oil out. like alot of pressure was behind it.. Does that happen to you??? is it normal?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I had the same issue last season except I did not have the evidence of water in my lube but I did have the old discoloration come back up into my resivoir bottle I dd redrain but before I did I ran my rig on muffs for around 15 minutes and opened the drain and let it gravity drain over night and removed and cleaned out resivoir bottle and line. I takes longer but the lube is much cleaner.

havasuboatman

Ensign

You are probably okay, but watch it closely. The reason your fresh oil shows the discoloration is that when oil mixes with water it emulsifies and becomes VERY sticky. You can drain until the cows come home and not get it all.
You can also just run your boat hard to heat up the new oil and drain it again. that will get nearly all the water out.
I suggest you check your oil a lot to make sure the leak you found is where the water got in.
If I understand you correctly as to where your leak was, I doubt the water got in there. Water enters an outdrive as the oil is cooling inside the drive causing a vacuum. The place the water gets in has to be submerged, unless you had on big assed leak.