changing lower unit oil

eyecatcher

Recruit
just changed the oil in the lower unit of E-Tec 75 oil was very black any problems i should be aware of - is it necessary to change oil every year?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: changing lower unit oil

The oil should come out of the lower unit looking pretty much the same as it did when put in. Clear and bright, maybe just a shade darker but not black.

Advisable to change every year, or at least to drain some off to check for water or milkiness, the first signs of water ingress, and top up again.

If I was you I would change it again after a short while. Two reasons. To make an early check for water ingress and secondly to ensure all the old mucky stuff is cleared out. I'd have probably flushed it with some cheap automotive engine oil.

Black ... don't like it.

jasper60103

Commander

I agree, and a cheap marine lube pump like pictured below makes the job easier. Just buy a quart of lube and filler up, no fuss with tubes.

Attachments

• marineLubePump.jpg
    marineLubePump.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander

Dont forget to change the seals on the Fill/Drain plug and the Level plug.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

eTECs are advertised as no gear oil changes for the first 3 years, as part of their no scheduled service for 3 years advertising slogan. I do not know how they can make this claim, but that is possibly why the gear oil is very black.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I had not realised that they claim no oil changes for the first three years.

I wonder if they pure a graphited oil or molybdenum disulphide additive in when new.

I would not expect a normal oil to go "very black" in 3 years

mrimike

Seaman

if you are running in warmer waters expect it to burn off a bit and be black or dark colored.
South Texas lower units its very common... even at regular intervals.
As long as there is no milky color you are ok