96' 115 evinrude....smoking :(

thommo 73

Recruit
hi all
new here and come with problems and questions,

i purchased a HHunter 520sf with a erinrude 96 mod 115hp not too long ago,
has been running great untill today when i run it in a test tank after a couple of months(baby), now i know 2t's smoke but this isnt funny, the cloud goes for about 100m before thinning out,

looking for a place to start looking, ive searched and come up with air leaks and on that note there is a red leaver with a tyre valve that leaks fuel when i push the choke? what does it do and could that be it?

any help would be good

Cheers
Thommo

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 96' 115 evinrude....smoking :(

that is the primer solenoid, it replaced the choke butterflies on newer motors. when you push the choke it squirts fuel directly into the intake manifold to make for easier "cold starts" the red lever should be in the position as the picture at the bottom. if it still leaks, it needs attention, there is a rebuild kit for it.

in a test tank, the seem to smoke so much more than one the water.

the synthetic TC-W3 oils smoke less, i would also do a decarb, to clean up the internals.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

verify that your OMS pump is not over mixing oil. fill your oil tank, then calculate how much oil you are using compared to fuel. if over 50/1 it is over oiling.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0