2-4-C marine grease vs. regular lithium grease

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,
I just bought a used boat with a 2005 Mercury 50ELPTO motor. I have a grease question. I just bought a small tube of the Quicksilver 2-4-C marine grease in the squeeze tube so I could lubricate the spline of my drive shaft (I just replaced the water pump impeller).

However, I noticed there are grease fittings on various places on the motor (steering shafts and other rotation points). I was wondering - can I use the regular lithium grease that I have in my grease gun for this? Can regular grease be used for the trailer wheel bearings?

I would have bought a regular cartridge of this if I had thought about the other fittings and wheel bearings when I was at the store. And, I can't use the squeeze tube to lubricate those fittings.......sigh.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2-4-C marine grease vs. regular lithium grease

However, I noticed there are grease fittings on various places on the motor (steering shafts and other rotation points). I was wondering - can I use the regular lithium grease that I have in my grease gun for this? Can regular grease be used for the trailer wheel bearings?

Ayuh,... 2-4-C is some pretty Good Grease,... But it's not the best multitasker....

Your Gun Grease will work Just Fine for these other applications.....

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2-4-C marine grease vs. regular lithium grease

Thanks for the response. I will go ahead and use the regular grease.

Joseph