Boat cover support question

john from md

Commander
Overton's sells wood bows to support the boat cover. They attach buy inserting them into a fitting that is screwed onto the gunwale. (page 50 of their catalog)

Has anyone used these? I currently use the four straps and center pole and it doesn't do well in snow. I'm looking for an alternative.

Thanks for the help,

John

mthieme

Captain
Re: Boat cover support question

I'm curious too.
I had considered those but thought the slat would not be stout enough to support 6" snow.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

please tell more about what you are using now. 4 straps? I usually justlet my cover get pressed down in the back with snow, and i just wait for the snow to melt. You could try putting flat boards across the boat bridging the gap between the starboard and port gunwhales), sideways, where the tarp will sag. That center bow running from bow to stern sounds like a better solution though, maybe.

a70eliminator

Captain

My first boat used that set-up 16' MFG. It works great for summer rains but will not hold to an Ohio winter, the bows will collapse under 6" of snow just like anything else. I used cheap furring strips from home depot I wonder what wood they give you?

jfkkesler

Seaman

I built myself the ultimate protection this year. I went and bought a sheet of 1/2" pressed plywood (the really cheap stuff) and made a piece about 6" wider than the exposed area of my boat. I have a Bimini top on my boat, which I modified to be extra sturdy. So i rested the plywood on the back bar of the Bimini, and the other end rested on the front side of my rear cleats. I then used a few sturdy tarps to tie the whole sucker down. Now I have a completely tarp covered boat, that is completely reinforced beneath the tarp. Also, because the wood is resting up on the Bimini it is at about a 45* angle, allowing all water to just run straight down. If you don't have a Bimini, you could just use the top of your windshield to rest it on. And if you dont have a windshield. you could always use a trash can upside down or something to get some elevation on your supports. In fact, I was throwing a tennis ball against it the other day, that's how strong it is. I'm in Boston until Thursday, but maybe Ill take some pictures when I get home.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Under snow loads the wood bows (and more expensive fiberglass bows)spread the gunwales and collapse. Not good for the boat. That and you have the sockets protruding from the gunwales to injure people. I made a length of 1 X 3 pine furring from windshield to engine. Screwed a piece on the bottom to make an inverted Tee for lateral stability. Made a separate triangular support both at the splashwell and dashboard that it slides into. A little carpet on top to prevent chafing the tarp. Supports hold the wood 1 X 3 and tarps tented enough to shed a bit of snow. Mine is 14 feet long, a little higher than the windshield, and will support all that the tarps are good for. Bungee cords hold the tarps to trailer frame.

john from md

Commander

Thanks for the info fellas.

I currently have furring strips to augment the four strap set up. The problem with them is that they fall over because they are just set in my rear cleats.

I was not going to use the Overton wood strips alone, I was going to use them to augment the straps as I did with the furring strips. I'm not too worried about anyone hitting the hardware as I am the only one that goes out in the boat.

We just had about 8 inches of snow and my set up held up pretty good with the exception of the furring strips falling down when I brushed the snow off.

Maybe I'll just machine a recepticle for the pine furring strips that I use now. They probably are stronger than the strips Overton is offering.

Bowman 316, the four straps and a pole is sold by Westmarine. It is a telescoping pole that you put in the cockpit and connect four straps to the top of it and two to the front and two to the back of the boat. It costs about $20 and does well with rain. Snow tends to make it sag if not augmented by something else.

John

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I have had 2 posts collapse. I have also, like the others, had the wooden bows bend.

Now, in my 19' Bayliner, I have a 6' aluminum stepladder working as a post for a double
layer of covers. I also use plastic stow boxes as supports where needed on corners, etc.

In my 18' jon boat, I have 2 2x4x8 pieces of stud attached together for a 17' piece that
spans the length of the boat. It rests on the seat tops and a wooden mount near the o/b.

They both work fine, although I still go out and sweep off any snow that could turn to ice.

Good luck!

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree that rigging the boat up for the winter in a way that the snow and water slip off the boat cover as easily as possible is totally worth the effort. It keeps the cover cleaner, in better shape, and looking much better.

Splat

Lieutenant

I have a 16ft. boat and the best solution I have found was I went to Home Depot and bought some PVC piping the same size as the pedistal bases in my floor. I had to cut a slot in the ends and smoosh the ends together to make them fin inside the bases.

So I had 2 vertical posts coming up, then ran a piece of pvc from the post in the front to the rear. I then drilled a few holes in that main piece that ran from front to rear, and inserted pieces of 1/2 pvc waterline through so the run from side to side across the boat. On the pieces of 1/2 tubing I was luck enough I could glue elbows on the ends and they would stick perfectly into the rod holders on my gunnel.

The setup works pretty well for snow. The 1/2 pvc provides plenty of support so my cover won't fall in and fill with snow or water.

When I'm not using it it's just a matter of pulling out the two main posts that run from front to back, and sliding the 1/2 pipes out of the main one at the top and throw it under mty deck for storage.

Total cost, maybe $15

Bill

mphy98

Lieutenant

I had a rear cover made with a boot in the center to hold a large wooden dowel I machined on a lathe. It has a 1 1/2 inch ball on that end and just round 3/4 inch on the other. screwed a base plate into the deck, and it held off 2 feet of snow with no problem. I do have a winter cover over that as well. The rear cover goes from the windshield back to the rear of the oat. This set up works really well for me.