Isolator Bolt(Mount) Problem

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I installed a new trolling motor mount on my Nitro 170tf boat. I had to drill new holes and I used new isolator bolts. However I left the old isolators (the rubber part) from my old trolling motor in there. Everything seemed to work fine except for one bolt. When you screw the bolt into the rubber part it not only doesn't get tight but when you remove the screwdriver, the screw loosens itself, i.e., it does about a quarter turn the other way. I was thinking maybe the rubber isolator part is getting twisted somehow. Any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Isolator Bolt(Mount) Problem

Yes -- the solution is to replace the isolator. You don't have to buy an entire kit -- go to any of the better hardware stores or even some big box home improvement stores like Lowes. They have these (called "Well Nuts") in various sizes. Buy just one if that's all you need.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK great. I was hoping that would fix the problem. I have some extras. I just haven't had a chance to put a new one on it yet. I will give it try after work today.

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did replace the isolator that was twisted. Now it seems fine, but another isolator seems to not be holding correctly, it comes up some. I keep periodically tightening it and that seems to help, but I still don't think it will hold. I haven't tried it out on the water yet. That is when it was coming loose last time.

What does anybody think about putting some glue/epoxy/adhesive into the hole that the isolator goes in? Is that a stupid idea?