Suz DT140 Cooling

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a 1999 Suz dt140 and got it on the boat havbent take it to th water to run in due to waiting on a cable part got it
I run it on the hose and it peed a good streem. I let it run for about 30 minuits and it never dumped water out the back. I touched the moter and it was still cool

But with my johnson it wouldnt do it unless it was sumerged in water

Is this normal or should i go ahead and change the water pump

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suz DT140 Cooling

If water is coming out of the tell tail then your impeller is working, unless you have massive output pressure on your hose. I would have to look at the shop manual to see what passages are used when the thermostat does not open but that may be your problem assuming you are talking about water coming out of the upper exhaust ports on the rear of the engine.

I would inspect the thermostat (there are detailed instructions in the shop manual) as well as removing the lower unit and inspecting the impeller or just go ahead and replace it if it is new to you.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it pees really good i just wanted to make sure that it waent sopposed to unless it wormed good

James R

Commander

The best way to test the water pump is to put the lower way down in a barrel or in the pond. If you get a strong telltale then, you are good to go. Impeller failure can mean engine failure so if you don't know the history of impeller replacement replace it right away. Cheap compared to a replacement motor.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

right and this motor is a replacement for a johnson

elcamino12sec

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I once had a DT140, it will only spray water out of the little stream until the lower unit is submerged in water. Im sure its fine, that motor is a great motor, probably one of the best zuk ever made.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to assume you are using the muffs for the lower unit and not the flush hose attachment on the back of the engine. Don't run it with a hose attached to the flush port because no water can get to the impeller. It will burn up the impeller due to lack of lubrication.

My 115 and 140 do not like to run on muffs. The tell tail stream is very weak but when I attach the hose to the flush attachment (140 only) you could cut a board with the powerful stream of water coming out of the tell tail.

If you did run the engine 30 minutes using the flush attachment you must take the lower unit down and inspect your impeller.

Because I bought my 140 used and do not have the owners manual I don't have any instructions on the flush port. The service manual does not even mention it.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have thef flush attachment and no i run it on the muffs i t run great and did not over heat it was cool to the touch when i shut it off i know not to run it with the attachment because it dont get to the lower unit

but im going to take it out the the ramp this weekend it see who it does
i didnt have any lights come on and it didnt beep any so i guess its good

James R

Commander

I run a DT140 and have rebuilt 115s and 140s. They generally don't pump well on muffs but in a barrel or the pond they shoot an unbelievable stream. You should not have a problem with your motor. However if you don't know when the impeller was last changed you should do this right away. No point in burning up a great motor for just an impeller. Not difficult to do.